Mum attacking Dad... advice please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Marney, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Marney

Marney Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    We have a fairly unconventional set up - Steve and Susan, our Silkies, are indoor chickens - but have taken to family life since the arrival of Nugget three weeks ago. Sue is a very good mum, Steve slightly aloof but appropriately protective dad, cohabiting in their Palace happily whilst we waited to establish Nugget's gender. All was well until yesterday when Susie attacked Steve! At first I thought maybe Steve had attacked the chick or maybe stood on it accidentally but further observation shows that Sue's attacks are unprovoked. She's not joking either, she goes at him like she's a cockerel, poor Steve is left trying to make an undignified escape. I have now separated them although they are still in contact through the fence.
    I even though I can't tell if Nugget is male or female I don't know when the chickens can tell?! Is this happening because Nugget is male and Sue is protecting him? Steve is looking most forlorn about the breakdown of his laity or family. Domestic bliss does not reign! Any thoughts please?

2. Marney

Oct 18, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Happier times

3. Marney

Oct 18, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Segregation

4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

awwww. How sad! I hope someone can give some advice. But I wanted to stop in and say that is the cutest darn baby chicken I've EVER seen!

5. Marney

Oct 18, 2012
    Thank you!!

6. Marney

Oct 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

7. Marney

Oct 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Now you've done it. I can't have roosters outside, do you think a house rooster is a bad idea? Lol.
    I was planning on maybe getting a BR and EE hen for their eggs, but dang if these silkies haven't stolen my heart!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by