Mumma hen ignoring 1 day old chick.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Christie Loves Silkies, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

What can i do to get the mumma hen to take in this 1day old chick.
    it really needs her but she wont take it in.

Any advice would be wonderful!
    thanks!

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Is it the only chick she hatched??

3. Christie Loves Silkies

Quote:Shes hatched 4 but the other hen hatched 4 and cause my coop aint the saftest right now i have 1 hen in a hutch inside, and the other outside on eggs.
    the 7 chicks that shes got shes fine with and when i put the first 3 before this one in she was fine.
    could she have too many chicks?

The little 1 day old wouldnt live through the night inside, so I put her back out in the coop.
    I hope its still alive.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Shes hatched 4 but the other hen hatched 4 and cause my coop aint the saftest right now i have 1 hen in a hutch inside, and the other outside on eggs.
    the 7 chicks that shes got shes fine with and when i put the first 3 before this one in she was fine.

The little 1 day old wouldnt live through the night inside, so I put her back out in the coop.
    I hope its still alive.

Oh...are all these chicks of different ages?? That could be why she's ignoring it..Why wouldn't it live inside?? If the mom wont take it. Grab another chicky buddy and bring it inside to feed and water and keep warm until they are old enough to be in barn?

5. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!

I hope its still alive.

mine has 8 chicks right now...

6. Christie Loves Silkies

I hope its still alive.

Oh...are all these chicks of different ages?? That could be why she's ignoring it..Why wouldn't it live inside?? If the mom wont take it. Grab another chicky buddy and bring it inside to feed and water and keep warm until they are old enough to be in barn?

theres about 2 weeks age difference with the older ones.
    and a few days between the current hutch and and the 3 other ones ive put in.

I would of kept it inside if i had away of keeping it warm.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Oh...are all these chicks of different ages?? That could be why she's ignoring it..Why wouldn't it live inside?? If the mom wont take it. Grab another chicky buddy and bring it inside to feed and water and keep warm until they are old enough to be in barn?

theres about 2 weeks age difference with the older ones.
    and a few days between the current hutch and and the 3 other ones ive put in.

I would of kept it inside if i had away of keeping it warm.

Your in Australia?..What are the temps there?

8. Christie Loves Silkies

I am in Australia.
    Its currently 10.6°C

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Oh Lord your going to make me do math to figure out the real temp in F ?? LOLOL ok 51 degrees...do you not have a 75 watt light bulb/heating light that you can use/borrow???

10. Christie Loves Silkies

Quote:Oh Lord your going to make me do math to figure out the real temp in F ?? LOLOL ok 51 degrees...do you not have a 75 watt light bulb/heating light that you can use/borrow???

I don't but I was thinking of getting one tomorrow.
    what should i have the chick in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by