Munchkin cats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickenfootDuckbutt, Nov 8, 2011.

1. ChickenfootDuckbutt

ChickenfootDuckbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been a long-time lover of Munchkin cats, have wanted one ever since I was 9 when I first saw a man who had one and was walking it in a harness at the local park.

he was such a sweet kitty too, not scared at all, but I fell in love [​IMG]

I've decided recently that I want to get one in the next year or so, I found a breeder in PA who's prices ar not THAT bad, and she's got some nice cats.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever had a munchkin or knew anyone who did, and what they were like personality wise?

I heard they're very sweet usually, and can be very dog-like, but every cat is different

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

ive heard they have alot of health issues and need regular vet check ups because of in breeding and short legs. but they are very cute kittys!

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    The few that I knew never learned to consistanly use the litterbox. I wonder if it's just too much trouble to climb in with those stumpy little legs.

4. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    They are such a relatively new breed, I would hazard to guess they don't have a basic temperment or personality just yet, for most. . It is a genetic deformity, so breeders can use any breed,just as long as enough kittens are born short legged. I hope I made sense. The original cats were mixed strays, no known breed. They sure are cute though. I have always wanted one too.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Munchkins are adorable!! [​IMG]

6. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Piiiiccctttuuuuurrreeesss...

7. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    I *think* our "Sphynx" kitty may actually be part Munchkin. The breeder who we adopted her from breeds mainly Bambinos (basically hairless short legged cats). In the litters used to breed up to Bambinos you get a combination of furred and hairless, and short and long legs. I think she is one that came out hairless but with long legs. We didn't get papers on her, so who knows. I never asked. She isn't really built like a typical Sphynx. Anyway, I did meet the breeder's cats and all of her Munchkins were quite personable. If I could afford a Bambino I would love to have one. They are such funny looking little critters. But I just love odd looking cats. I have always told my husband someday I am going to make a breed of cats that is hairless, with no tail, folded ears, and short legs. [​IMG]

8. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I had to go "google search" them! Cute but I wonder why they don't call them "weiner cats"? [​IMG]

9. ChickenfootDuckbutt

ChickenfootDuckbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

I knew that munchkins were just cats with short little legs [​IMG], that's what made me want one as I got older

this is it the breeder I'm looking at in the future
    http://www.themunchkinrugrunners.com/Ourmunchkin_.html

their cats are beautiful, I'm gonna contact them and ask them how often they have kittens [​IMG]

I actually have a kitten, Harren, who, along with her sister I found at two weeks old and bottle fed, I re-homed her sister, but kept Harren, she is longhaired, and rediculously fluffy.

BUT she's SO stubby, she's long and short, which makes me think she's got the short legged mutation, but I'd still rather have the real thing.

besides that, Harren is outside bound in spring, because she WILL NOT LITTERTRAIN, and she's 11 1/2 -12 weeks old now [​IMG]

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The music on that site kills me! lol!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by