1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Murdered laying hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 19Dawn76, Jan 17, 2010.

1. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I may be posting this in the wrong section and I apologize if I am. Last night my neighbors dog got into my coop and killed most of my chickens. I need ideas on prices for the stock I lost.

Laying Hens

2 Buff Orphingtons
    4 Cuckoo Marans
    2 EE's

I lost 8 4 month old EE's

.There are no laying hens for sale on Craigslist in my area. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. 19Dawn76

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I put murdered in the title of the post hoping it would get someones attention.

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Got my attention... [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I sell my marans for $50 apiece. They are CBM though. Do your hens lay dark? So sorry for your loss

5. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    If Toad suck Arkansas doesnt get someone's attention nothing will. Not making fun but you must hear some jokes about that. Also sorry for your loss. That is rough it happened to me just when I got my first start.

Prices are very regional. In terms of finding pricing for your youngsters some hatcheries sell started birds and I think 15 dollars plus shipping which is substantial would be the number. Layers are a different story especially if you cant replace the with hens that are currently laying. I would think you could charge the same for the layers and then add up you loss with not having eggs and ad that to the total. The numbers can get kind of scary if you want to be make 100% whole right off the bat.

C'mon Toad suck? I gotta hear about that.

Edited to add: Why can I not rent a pig? I have always wanted to rent one.

6. 19Dawn76

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I was thinking about 20 for the hens and 15 for the younger birds. He also broke a heat lamp that, I think, was around 15 dollars. I did not get a chance to shoot his dog. By th time I got the 30/30 loaded he was gone and I really don t know if I could of done it anyway.

greathorse - Why would someone make jokes about Toad Suck? I have never heard one. Do you have one?

Ha Ha Just kidding! If you ever get a chance to read Lonesome Dove you'll know why we dont rent pigs. I think it s the greatest cowboy story ever told.

7. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Good luck with your replacement and I think you are on the right track with your numbers. I did read Lonesome Dove and just watched bits and pieces recently, I dont remember the "dont rent pigs line". Was it Gus? Not hijacking but now I am going to fret because I too think it is one of the best stories ever told.

thanks for having a sense of humor. I thought I was taking a bit of a risk with you having lost birds and all.

8. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    so sorry about the loss of your birds.. i would count everything.. from the feed you fed them to the eggs you will be missing.. i can't help but chuckle at the names people give things.. toad suck is funny.. we have rds here named.. dinglehole and dogleg.. can you imagine your address being.. 111 dinglehole in toad suck, ark?

9. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I know I am a pure hijacker here but that could be a new thread list your most outrageous address. Dingle hole rd., Toad suck, ARK Now that is funny

10. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I lost more than half of my flock on Thursday to a neighbors dog. Mostly laying pullets about 9-10 months old. He was still in there when I went out there and he charged me.

This is what I was told. See post #13 especially.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I truely feel you pain. [​IMG]

So to replace and can also ask for the egg loss in the future. You know, An egg a day for the life of the bird at say $3.00 a doz.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=285443

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by