Murderer on our farm

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bantams4life, Dec 29, 2013.

1. bantams4life

bantams4life Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Australia
    I live on a small property on the edge of town and last night I think something decided to make an easy meal of two of my chooks I don't know how it got to them but here is what I think happened this pair where in a small wire cage with half of it covered for shade and the door is on top of the cage I think the predator has spooked these chooks and they have knocked the door open and tried to fly out or the murderer has gotten in and killed them both after that the killer has taken the bodies somewhere to eat them because I cannot find them anywhere. there are a number of feral cats there could also be a fox and a couple weeks ago our neighbours black Labrador ran away if anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I don't live in australia or really know what predators you have there. Do you have raccoons? They are very thrifty and open doors and gates no problem to get at chickens.

3. bantams4life

Aug 13, 2013
    Australia
    No raccoons here there are foxes ,feral cats , dogs ,snakes eating eggs and chicks and birds of prey.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    It sounds to me like one of those big snakes you Ausies have down there slithered into your flat coop and walk... no, better make that crawled away with both of your chickens. I suspect that your neighbors Black Labrador may have met a similar fate.

My only advise for you is to sleep with both of your eyes open and you better strap a stout board across both of your shoulders to prevent any reptiles from swallowing you whole. LOL Forgive me Bantams4life, I just have this dry sense of humor.

Somehow I am of the impression that you Australians are not allowed to protect your livestock from snakes anymore. Re-post if I am wrong in this assumption.

Good day. and sleep tight.... Dang there goes that dry sense of humor again.[​IMG]

5. bantams4life

Aug 13, 2013
    Australia
    Haha we aren't supposed to kill snakes but if they are going to be a danger to us then the rules change. I know that people are against killing snakes but I don't plan on risking a bite

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    And neither will I.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by