Murders found this morning!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DURR, Dec 22, 2012.

1. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    What a way to wake up on a saturday morning. I went to go feed my babies some left over bell pepper and some sun flower kernals to find a few of my pens in shambles and Beau murdered, Halo severly maimed to the point we had to end his suffering and Ol'Red missing along with red's hen sophie and Beau's hen maribelle. And I can't find my free rang hens or rooster, but red come running in from the field next door when I called for my loose hens. But they didn't come. My husband had ended the colprits life sadly some stray dog that was severly under weight was the cause of it all. :(

2. CayugaLover

CayugaLover The Duck Whisperer

[​IMG]i'm so sorry for your birds! be thankful it wasn't a fox, they're much harder to get rid of...

3. DURR

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    Update: all hens and roo have showed back up! But we found one hen dead with my two roosters. :( and thank you dear. Hopefully we don't have another attack by dogs again. I still have my favorite hen lilli-anne and her big boy roo Rowyn. :)

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Sorry for the losses. Glad the rest showed up.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Sorry to hear about you losing your birds....glad you got the marauder.

7. DURR

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    Apparently the dog had lived because I have a hen and rooster dead in their pen this morning and possibly ol'red is dead too, can't find him. Hopefully he escaped death again. Why must christmas week be so cruel to me? :(

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. [​IMG] You are going to have to catch that animal and quick. Good luck!

9. DURR

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    Causualty report - 6 known to be dead - one is missing ( no evidence ) - and 12 are survivors! And thank you sumi. I have permission from animal control who spent all day trying to catch the dog to rid him any way possible. :( I feel bad for the dog but its in their nature I guess.

10. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If they are hungry, they look for something to eat. It's purely for survival. But sometimes their choice of meal is a problem. Like when it's our pets they hunt. I had a starving dog kill one of my hens once. I loved that hen so much, I was devastated when I lost her. I wanted to kill the dog with my bare hands, but when I calmed down enough to think straight I realised she did what her instinct told her to do: find food. Her owner (useless drunk) didn't feed her for 3 days. So I switched to wanting to kill him with my bare hands. Especially when he arrogantly told me it wasn't his dog who did it. I had to walk away from him before I did something stupid. DH settled for having a very serious talk with him. And we started feeding his dog when he was out boozing. I ended up really liking his dog.

I wish your problem had such a simple solution [​IMG] Best of luck and I hope your missing chicken comes back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by