Murphy's Law!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lelilamom, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    I ordered chicks for the first week in April. My thinking was that it would be warm enough that I wouldn't be risking any loss with a 2 day shipping to upstate NY. Ha! The joke is on me. The chicks are supposed to ship today, and it's SNOWING! Tonight temps are supposed to be in the teens. Tomorrow wind chills are supposed to be around 15 degrees over night.

This is the coldest week in 6 weeks. I'm so worried I'm going to pick up a box of dying chicks. I planned for the best timing and ended up with the worst!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    all my chicks were sent with a heating pad. Hopefully your does to.

3. FlutterbyChicks

FlutterbyChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2015
    Same here! I'm in PA, mine is supposed to be sent today, and I'm so nervous about getting a box of dead chicks! I only got 4, so not a whole lot of body heat going. Of course in 2 or 3 days, the temperatures are supposed to go up. Good luck, and let's hope both of ours show up healthy and thriving! Yes, they do send them with heat packs. Hopefully that keeps them toasty enough! Update when yours arrive!

4. Lelilamom

Feb 28, 2013
    I ordered 15 from Meyers Hatchery. They send with a heating pad, but it takes two days and it's supposed to be 15 degrees tonight and tomorrow night with the wind chill. I'm supposed to get a call when they are shipped, but I didn't get a call. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll hatch a day late and they'll go out tomorrow or even Wednesday when the temp goes up to 50!

5. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Me too! forty chicks (including bantams!) from Cackle, shipped Wednesday, to Michigan. Mary

7. FlutterbyChicks

Jan 21, 2015
    I got mine today, and all 4 were alive and well!

8. Lelilamom

Feb 28, 2013
    All 15 arrived today alive and doing well. It was 15 degrees out this morning. What a spring!

9. FlutterbyChicks

Jan 21, 2015
    So glad they all arrived safely! Pictures??

10. Lelilamom

Feb 28, 2013
    I just posted in my other post. Check out "Just ordered Wyndottes from Meyers" in Raising baby chicks forum. I love them when they are this size. I could sit in my garage all day!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by