1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Murray Mcmurray dead chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by guardrail, Feb 12, 2016.

1. guardrail

guardrail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    Clarksburg WV
    I just got back from the post office with 25 dead chicks. I ordered a few months ago to ship this week. I am really upset they shipped them out know how cold it was going to be. Poor chicks...

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Did you call them and report your losses? I would request another shipment of chicks or my money back.

3. guardrail

Jan 13, 2016
    Clarksburg WV
    I did get my money back with no problem but it still doesn't help those poor little dead chicks. I guess it's a lesson learned. I'm gonna get some from Meyer. They are 2 hundred miles from me. So I should get them quicker.

4. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    Please post the response from Murray McMurray. I've always heard great things about them - I expect they will make it right -but I'd like to hear how they fix your issue.

5. guardrail

Jan 13, 2016
    Clarksburg WV
    Josh. They didn't even question me and offered to replace or refund. my choice.

6. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    I agree, the death of the chicks is very sad. Glad you got your money back however. Just a suggestion, you could do some research (if you haven't already) and see if you could find a local hatchery/breeder that you could drive to. They may be more expensive, but it'd be supporting a small business. Hope you have better success with your next batch of chicks!

7. guardrail

Jan 13, 2016
    Clarksburg WV
    I did try to find someone close to me but came up with nothing. I'm very impatient on just about everything and would be glad to pay a little more to go pick them up somewhere. I was hesitant to order this time of year and did some research and this link. http://blog.mcmurrayhatchery.com/#article/4974
    Was one of the things that made think everything would be ok. I'm going to drive the 3 hours and 25 minutes next Tuesday to Meyer and pick up 25 more. I couldn't bear to try getting more shipped only to have them show up dead again. I just hope some people read this thread and decide to wait or go local.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by