Murray McMurray - Extra 1 Rare Chick always a Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mosier, May 5, 2007.

1. mosier

mosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I am thinking of ordering from Murray McMurray. I see that you can add 1 free rare chick to your order. I am wondering if these generally turn out to be a rooster?

2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I can almost guarantee that it will be. I ordered one too. Turned out to be a Wyandotte roo. Good luck maybe you will be the exception.

3. mosier

mosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I figured it would be a roo. Since I live in the city I can't have one, so I guess I won't choose to get the free rare.

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    My free chick was a hen, and was not a rare breed. It was a New Hampshire Red.[​IMG]
    But she is the sweetest chicken I have so I cannot complain.[​IMG]

5. lively Bee's

lively Bee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    We got a golden laced wyandotte hen and she is a wack job she runs from bugs she runs from other chicken and she runs from people [​IMG] she is on the very bottom of the peckng order [​IMG]

You can tell themnot to send you one if you just wont a certin chick.

6. momof3

momof3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Iowa
    I ordered from them twice this year. I recieved one white cochin which I believe is a hen. The other one is a silver spangled hamburg. It is definately a rooster. I agree you will most likely get a rooster.

7. mainely-chick

mainely-chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Maine
    I also received a Spangled Silver Hamburg which I believe is a hen thus far - I asked the hatchery that question and
    they answered that it is the luck of draw.

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I ordered from them..and got a hen..I am thinking a Dom. Not sure yet. She is 7 weeks old, and is either a Dom, or a BR. Either way...its a hen!

9. jag

jag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    After much hemming and hawing, we've decided our free rare chick is a dominique pullet. [​IMG]

10. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We declined McMurray's free exotic chick and they sent us an extra pullet chick from one of the 25 breeds we ordered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by