Murray McMurray Free chick: breed and sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MtnGrl, Sep 6, 2014.

1. MtnGrl

MtnGrl New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    Hi all, hoping you can help me identify my Murray McMurray "exotic" chick. I'm guessing Dominique? or Cuckoo Maran? Also guessing cockerel, but would be thrilled if its a pullet :) Thanks for the help! (sorry if the pictures are giant, first time)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How old is it?

I'd say Cuckoo Marans cockerel, but wow, that is bizarre coloring even for a CM cockerel. It's not even cuckoo barred, just all over the place. The reason I say CM is because the leg color appears white.

3. MtnGrl

MtnGrl New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    Sorry, forgot to add age. 6 weeks old. I'm glad I'm not the only on who thought that about the coloring! The barred rock next to it seems to have weird coloring as well, she doesn't look like my older ones when they were that age at all.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She has very bad barring, it's true. That is unfortunately what hatcheries are putting out for their products these days. Even my hatchery hens started out much better than some I've seen lately. I love BRs, my favorite, but it you want some real eye candy, get some true heritage old line Barred Rocks from a breeder, then you'll have something like this hen of mine.

I fell in love with two hatchery BR hens years ago, each completely different in their barring, and I still have two elderly hens out of hatchery parents, but I am hooked on my Stukel line BRs now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  5. MtnGrl

MtnGrl New Egg

Sep 6, 2014
    She's beautiful. I would love to find some heritage BRs out here (Colorado). I do love my BR's, but you can definitely tell they are hatchery chicks.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree it looks like a cuckoo Marans cockerel.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X3 on Cuckoo Marans cockerel. Sorry. :eek:(

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cuckoo Marans cockerel.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013