murray McMurray hatcheries?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JarrodnJojo2016, Nov 29, 2016.

1. JarrodnJojo2016

JarrodnJojo2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2016
    shady point , OK
    hello! I have never ordered chicks, can anyone give me some info? are they good and healthy? life rate? any info would be great!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. PrancingGoat

PrancingGoat Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Don't order from them!

We are relatively new to chickens but after purchasing from a local feed store (Klem's) and having such a healthy flock last year (not a single chick had even the slightest of problems other than a couple cases of pasty butt) we figured our chances were good for saving any stressed chicks from the mail.
    We made our first ever hatchery order this spring from Murray McMurray. Within the first hour I knew it was a mistake!! They arrived within 36hours of being shipped. Upon opening the box, 2 of the 15 had arrived dead and trampled, 1 little one was gasping for its last breaths, 1 had no energy to walk, barely could stay awake, and after 4hours of standing over it to ensure it was warm enough, not getting stepped on, as well as feeding it drops of water mixed with the Quik Chik, it sadly perished.
    I thought that at least the worst was behind us but now (10 days later) another of the chicks (which I noticed had been eating and drinking this whole time but not growing as quickly) started to act lethargic, wouldn't take food, and barely could stand. Within 6hours, it too passed :C
    I know not all chicks will make it, but 6 out of 15 so far and it hasn't even been two weeks. I love animals and my chickens are family so this has been pretty devastating. I will never order from a hatchery again. Local may be more work but this experience has made what is normally an exciting time, a complete nightmare.

penny1960 likes this.
  4. WynnFamilyFarms

WynnFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2017
    Mississippi
    We ordered our 16 chicks from them recently and it came in less than two days from when shipped. When I opened the box, all were very lively and happy little birds and we had received an extra bird that looked like a silkie. We only had problems with the one extra bird that was included in our order who grew weak and lethargic over the first day with us and eventually passed away. We have had only minor cases of pasty butt with the batch and I can say that the remaining 16 are still very alive and well! We contacted the hatchery about the chick's death and they credited us money to our account towards a future purchase. Overall I think that it was a decent experience and a fine company to order with if your local feed store does not carry chicks this time of year!

penny1960 likes this.
  5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You might want to use Poultry Nutri-Drench. It can really help weak chicks.

Too bad you had a bad experience, mine has been the opposite. Two years ago we ordered 28 figuring we would lose a few in shipping and there would be a couple of mis-sexed ones. Well, there was only one oops male and all 28 made it. Last year we ordered 18. All 18 made it and are still running around the yard.

My SIL gets her chicks from Klem's too. Do they still make you get 12 at a time? They get bad shipments too, it can happen from any hatchery. Customers just don't get to see that part of it.

penny1960 likes this.
  6. sherlocklabs

sherlocklabs Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2011
    I've ordered from Murray Mc for years...and have always been extremely satisfied with the quality of my chicks. I've not lost one yet. What a shame that you had such a horrible experience. Have you contacted the hatchery and told them of your experience??

penny1960 likes this.
  7. PrancingGoat

May 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Keesmom, thank you for the suggestion of Poultry Nutri-Drench!! I found that tip earlier this morning (sadly by then it was too late) but I am going to pick some up later today just to keep on hand.

I am glad there are better experiences out there. From the stuff I read online, it seemed like Murray McMurray had a ton of bad shipments but maybe it is hit or miss with every hatchery. I would like to think I was just unlucky but don't really want to risk another heartbreak.

Not sure about other states, but here in MA, Klem's makes you get 6 at a time only if you don't already have a flock at home, which is pretty understandable.

We changed from a heat lamp to the more expensive but hopefully better Brinsea EcoGlow today so the chicks can get a much more even temperature. I hope that does something otherwise I am at a loss to what else we can do. They have a lot of space to decide their own temperature, clean pine shaving every other day, and constant monitoring of their water and food. I wash my hands before I do anything to their brooder or them and watch for pasty butt or strange behavior.

We haven't notified the hatchery yet because I don't see what they can do other than refund the chick cost or whatever they do, which doesn't really negate the loss to me. >__<

penny1960 likes this.
  8. 2MorrowsDream

2MorrowsDream Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2017
    Sanger, Texas
    I recently ordered from Meyer Hatchery. All 4 chicks arrived alert and healthy. They put shavings in and a heat type pad (like hand warmer type heating pad). They are now almost 2 weeks old and happy, fuzzy chicks. I was very pleased with their customer service, and friendly phone staff. 20170519_162942.jpg

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    It's nice to have on hand. You never know when you might need it. I almost lost a hen to heatstroke yesterday. Cooling her was essential, but I believe nutri-drench helped in her recovery. She is back with her flock already.

As for the chicks you lost, were they any particular breed? We have found crested breeds to be weak no matter the source.

penny1960 likes this.
  10. PrancingGoat

May 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I have heard Meyer's from a few people now! I still think I am going to try local breeders next time or even hatching my own since it saves them the stress of the mail. I was told that smaller breeders tend to feed higher protein layer feed so they produce healthier chicks, which is a bonus!

@keesmom The chicks were all different bantam breeds of various kinds but yes 1 of the 6 that passed was crested (a polish).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by