Murray McMurray Hatchery

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by halo, Dec 17, 2007.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I wasnt sure where to put this...if its in the wrong spot I hope it will be moved. On Dirty Jobs, we all saw the hilarious M McMurray segment. They never show just exactly how they get their eggs, tho. Do they have huge pens full of different chickens? They must have thousands of hens on the payroll in order to produce....what did they say, 50,000 chicks a week? Are they particular on which hens they use to produce chicks, or is it such a mass produced deal that they just take any hens of the particular breed to produce eggs. Has anyone seen their set up?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  2. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I believe they get their eggs shipped in from breeders. They don't have any birds at their facilities other than the chicks they hatch.

3. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Some of the Hatcheries have a virtual tour of their facility. I can't remember which hatchery has it, but you can go to their website to check it out.

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I know this is a little of topic but I seen every dirty jobs ep but that one

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't have cable tv so I never saw the show. McMurrays is the only hatchery I've ever ordered from and I've always had good luck with their birds. I'm sure they aren't show quality, but they've always been nice and healthy.....and I've gotten what I ordered.

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Oh thats interesting. They get all their eggs from breeders?? Thats a nice little side job for someone, providing eggs for Murray McMurray. Ive read several posts where people have taken the MM chickens to shows and done well with them,so they must be nice. Does anyone know anyone who provides eggs for them?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As in shipped from breeders, I doubt it's going to be show quality breeders with maybe 50 birds, but rather contract breeders with hundreds of birds that pump eggs out to them so they can hatch tens of thousands of chicks a week for shipment.

8. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    As with most hatcheries, you can get 100 birds, and usualy only 1 or so is show quality. I've seen this ESPECIALLY with McMurray. But hey, I'm very particular about my birds. But for backyard flocks, as long as their happy and healthy, that's all that really matters.

-Sarah

9. tarazod

tarazod Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    We had the special opportunity of visiting the Murray McMurray Hatchery and got a behind the scenes tour of the facility by one of the owners, Bud Wood. Bud explained that they have contracts with local Iowa chicken breeders to supply them with eggs. The McMurray trucks go out to the different farms on specified days and return to the hatchery where the eggs are placed into massive incubators.

If you're interested in seeing video footage of the McMurray operation, stay tuned. We are approaching the completion on a nearly 2.5 year feature film project that documents the phenomenon that is the backyard chicken movement. And we take the viewers on the same tour of the hatchery that we received.

Murray McMurray Hatchery

Mad City Chickens film project

10. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    Your movie looks like it will be interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by