1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Murray McMurray vs. Sandhill Preservation - which one would you choose

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by country freedom, Mar 25, 2009.

1. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

I've just read a few people's troubles with McMurray Hatchery. I do not think I should use them this year. I'm wondering if Sandhill Preservation is a good one for this year.

I will be using Ideal for my bantam breeds, though. They've got nice selections of breeds I like.

2. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I used McMurray fine. [​IMG]

Only one duckling had some crusty eyes that I just wiped for a couple of days. I can't speak for the other one, since I haven't used them.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Depends on what you want. For some breeds, I'd never use the big hatcheries. With Sandhill, you will have to wait a long time for many breeds, some of which are already sold out till Fall.

4. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:If you are just looking for meat birds or eggs McMurray is alright. I wouldn't use them if you were planning on breeding any specific breed.

As far as Sandhill I have seen a few birds from them, some looked good and some did not. I guess it all depends on what your looking for.

5. i bought my RIRs from mcmurry and they are great, just wish one would go broody. marrie

6. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

neither. I spend hours looking at all the hatcheries and the varieties offered and compare prices... Lazy54Farm (previously Shanks) is good.

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I had very bad luck with MM. I have heard Sandhill is great but they will have a waiting list since they are just a hobby business and don't have tons of chickens in all the breeds they can't hatch out in large numbers like MM. But MM doesn't hatch out all their own because they dropshipped mine from TX and only 9 of 35 lived. [​IMG]

8. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I ordered from Sandhill last year and and they were very nice. I had to wait My chickens were not sent until the third shipping date but when I had a problem,(remember how bad the winter was last year) they replaced the order. The chicks have grown out. I am very happy with the giant cochins although I did get a roo that is a mix. Even with him as hes the only one I think hes unique. The polish are very flighty but they do lay every day which I hear is rare, the Orpingtons are OK I have seen better, they are very large I will say that. But all in all I would do business with them again.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I don't get that.

McMurray is in Iowa. You are in Iowa. They drop shipped from TEXAS? What's up with that?

10. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:I don't get that.

McMurray is in Iowa. You are in Iowa. They drop shipped from TEXAS? What's up with that?

Yeah. I didn't get it either. I told them I chose them because they were in Iowa. Had I wanted chicks from TX I would have used Ideal. I thought my chicks would have less travel time if I got them from a place only 4 hours from me but instead they sent them all the way from TX.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by