Murry McMurry hatchery-anyone want any?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rachel's Hobby Hatchery, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Rachel's Hobby Hatchery

Rachel's Hobby Hatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    North West Michagan
    Hi, I would love to buy a couple of birds from murry mcmurry but I dont have the $$ or room for all of those chicks, I would like to have at least one other person order with me (you can pick what breeds you want & pay only for your birds & I will do the same) we can split shipping in 1/2. I can start your birds if you want (Im not good at telling what breeds when they are babies until they feather out). Im located in Kalkaska, MI. I plan to order them some time in April so there is plenty of time... LMK if you have the same idea.

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I do wish you luck, but if you set up for a small operation, why not just go to your local feed store next spring and pick up chicks there. You can get a very small amt. Now if you had been wanting to get a large amount, I would understand ordering from a hatchery. Cackle will sell a smaller amt of chicks than McMurray.

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    If you're looking at a hatchery to buy from you could go through mypetchicken.com. They have a minumim order of 3 chicks if you're in a large city and if you're within a 2 hour drive of that city I think the minimum is 8 chicks. You'd have to double check the website or ask to find out your minimum, but I bought through them and just drove to the nearest 'big city' (Denver) and picked them up from the post office there. They were mailed 'Care of Postmaster' directly to the post office with my phone number on the box. I now have three very happy EE ladies. So I am a bit bias... I could only legaly fit three in the coop I chose to get so... [​IMG]

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I went to my local feed store and asked them to special order me a few chicks when they placed their next order. They said no problem and I got my 4 chicks without paying extra shipping. I highly recommend doing this is you want a small order of chicks and are willing to wait until the spring to order them.

I have 4 feed stores in my area and only one was willing to do this, so you might have to ask around . . . . .

5. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    With MPC, the 2 hour drive from a major post office isn't always a good tool for deciding on who to order from. I live outside of Wichita Falls, just under 2 hrs from Dallas, and my minimum order from MPC was 12 as we are 3 postal stations deep in the delivery chain Cleveland Airport>Dallas>Wichita Falls>Kamay. Took 2 full days, arrived at my post office 5 am Wed. They were very clear on delivery time when I ordered, and I have 30+ being shipped 10/4. Got to remind the postmistress this week.I am sure she will love 30 peepers in her office. Should arrive that Thursday at the latest.

Cackleberry's smallest order is 5 if I recall correctly.

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I agree! Your local feed store will happily order them for you on their next order and if they won't, I would find another feed store. It's a great way to get those hard to find birds and build a good relationship with your feed store buddies.

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Quote:Really? Which one does that? I really want some buttercup females next spring but don't want to order a ton....

8. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    standard feed on main street will do it. This year they got their stock from ideal . .. . It cost me $2 - $3 for each speckled sussex and partridge rock pullets that I ordered. No additional charges were added to my order. I thought that was GREAT. I only ordered 4 chicks and there is no min. . . .

9. Rachel's Hobby Hatchery

Rachel's Hobby Hatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    North West Michagan
    I have orderd chicks from sevral local feed stores in past years and Im not impressed with the quality... also they all have a very limited choice of breeds & variaties (example: I can only get buff orpingtons or tan & white Runners & TSC only has pekin ducks). I only want like 10 chicks, I dont have the $ or the room for 25 more birds...

10. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    That's awesome! I checked the ideal site and they do have Buttercups [​IMG] [​IMG] I will have to ask the standard feed to order them next spring. Thanks for the tip!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by