1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muschovy leg injury

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tdiving, Sep 6, 2016.

1. tdiving

tdiving New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    Hi to all

Glad to have this site to refer to and need desperate help !!!
    We have numerous "street" muschovy ducks in our ares and I seemed to have been nominated to care for them.
    Have one young adult that seems to have broken his leg at the hip----leg just swings at the hip without resistance..
    These ducks are wild and handling them is not easy.
    The injury is 2 days old and the duck has been moving with its wings.
    I now have it in a large cage and need advice on where to go from here.Can we try fitting a splint---I hope that we dont have to move this duck too often as it goes nuts when anyone approaches it.

Urgent advice would be greatly appreciated --I hate seeing the duck in this condition but we cannot afford taking every duck to the vet---so its a do-it-yourself situation

Thank you so much

Tony Wynne-Roberts

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If broken at the hip not sure if a splint would work and it will have to be kept up till healed. If at all possible a vet would be the way to go or a water fowl rescue, it maybe best to put it down with a brake like that.I'm sure it's in alot of pain.. Infection is a worry too. @tdiving

3. tdiving

tdiving New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    Thank you for your reply

Strangely,does not seem to be in pain.

Thinking that it may be dislocated----maybe strapping leg to body---does that make sense ???

Tony

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes it does and I have heard of doing this if you can manage to get the leg back in place that would probably work. But please keep it penned up till healed it sure won't make it out there with a hurt leg. Lots of TLC and vitamins and good food it will hopefully heal. Animals sure don't show pain like us humans. So if you can get some Metacam that would probably help too.

5. tdiving

tdiving New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    Sorry to be so ignorant---as nobody here seems to care,I seem to have be the person responsible for these ducks.

I certainly dont want any animal to suffer--so I am just taking a shot at helping this poor guy whose life is precious ..He seems to be quite calm in the cage at the moment .

Can you tell me what Metacam is and where do I get it.

Thanks for all your trouble---I really appreciate it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by