Muscovey Ducks - just love them!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kelebek, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Kelebek

Kelebek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    I know that I have not been around in some time, and I am sorry. It has been a little crazy .... we were going to move cross country - so out of my 19 muscovey and 40 + chickens, I kept 6 chickens and 6 ducks - all with homes when we were ready to move. Well spring came and went, and still no moving. Now we are into summer and we are STILL here ... so looks like we are not moving until next year now. pooey!

With that said - I felt blessed that on Mother's Day, my very first Muscovey hatchlings were hatched from my one hen. I was so excited to look out that morning and see her out with 2 babies. We had no idea that she was still alive - let alone brooding a nest!! Then about 2 weeks later, we had a clutch of 13 hatched!!! One didn't make it - it was week at hatching and didn't expect it to make it - but it literally just "disappeared" not sure - maybe a hawk?

Well we sold 6 of the hatchlings and had 8 left, along with 6 meat hatchlings that I purchased at the local feed store. Then came the Raccoon .... GAH! This darn thing killed one of my other hens who was just finishing laying a clutch (first clutch didn't make it ) so her eggs are currently in the incubator (first time bating eggs - so we will see how I do). There are 13 eggs in the bator - I saw movement in 3 last week - hoping to candle again tonight and see what I can see and take some pics to know what I have. Then my hen that hatched 2 ducklings has just started brooding another nest that has 12-14 eggs in it ..... So anyone in the Inland Northwest need some ducks - LOL! All seem to be Blue Pied or Black Pied!

Unfortunately, we have lost 5 meaties, 1 hatchling, 2 hens, and one of my drakes was attacked by a raccoon. We know that it is a coon because we have shot at it twice now and not hit it in 4 shots :-( I have a trap out and last night he found the trap with the goodies - but ate the goodies without setting the door to close - smarty pants. So I got a second trap today! LOL! I will get the booger - but in the meantime - my momma duck, her 7 remaining ducklings, and the lone meatie are being couped at night in the awesome coup that my husband just built me and we are 95% complete!!!

Any suggestions, tips, anything - I would be happy to hear them - and I will get you a pic of the ducklings. Currently have 3 1.5 month old drakes available!!

Oh and I just ordered 15 new layer hatchlings and 10 meaties! Ohh I can't wait for a dead coon - more ducklings, and chicks!!!

[​IMG]

2. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    Hope you catch that darn coon.

3. halecards

halecards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Wow! A lot has happened in the past few months! I love listening to things like this! [​IMG]. [​IMG]

4. Kelebek

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    What I didn't mention is that I have also had 32 goat babies born since March 12th and have one more girl to kid out in the next week or so!! LOL!

Well, I just candled my bator eggs - 7 were dead - like didn't even grow :-( So I pulled them. I saw two moving well - one that I think I saw moving - and the others I am not sure if they grew and died or still alive.... Just not sure.... this is my first time.

Here is a question - due to the coon - I had to move my other hen's nest into the coup. I "scooped" the nest with my big shovel and moved it into the coop with her. She is a little panicked, but settling down. I did see that she was on the eggs - but if she decides to reject them - can I put them in the bator with the others - even though it goes to lock down on the 9th?

5. halecards

Apr 17, 2011
    Quote:Oh are you talking about how on the 9th will be the last 3 days and those days you don't touch the eggs?

6. Kelebek

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    yes - but thankfully, this morning, my momma was on her nest and hissing at me when I opened the hatch to look at her - so I think I am in the clear :) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. halecards

Apr 17, 2011
    Quote:Ok good!

8. Kelebek

Nov 23, 2009
    Orange Grove, TX
    However, I just went out to clean out the boy goat pen dog houses - and found a chicken sitting on 2 chicken eggs and 3 duck eggs - I just looked like 4 or 5 days ago and there was nothing in there. One egg when candled looks like an outline of a duckling, another seemed pretty cloudy and POSSIBLE movement, and the other egg - I could see the air pocket but the rest looks all black .... last two smell a bit ... not sure if rotten or if there is actually something in there - so threw them in the bator - guess we will find out - LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by