Muscovey eggs in incubator, I need help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Big Dreamer, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    On regular mallard derived species you lockdown on day 25. lockdown meaning? No turning higher humidity and lower temps or higher? What day is lockdown for muscoveies since its 35 day incubation? These might be mules or hinnies so would it change the incubation period? I have mine at 98.6-99.6 is that ok? i cant tell the humidity but i have a hovabator and only the middle tray os filled with water. please help i want trudys babies to survive.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It can change the incubation period when the ducklings are crossbred- Do you know exactly when Trudi started sitting?? You may have to just rely on candling once you get to day 25 to watch for signs of the beak in the airsac to indicate when to stop turning.

3. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Trudy is a Muscovy but i have seen my welsh halrequins mate her and pekin. Her hatch date was july 4th until she was malled and murdered by my dog. so it should be the same day if they are pure muscovey. from july 4th just count back 35 days and thats when she started to sit..

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    That puts it around the last day in May. I would suggest candling daily from the 25th of June to watch for signs they are getting ready to hatch. Once you see them start to fill into the airsac or actually see a beak in the airsac stop turning then and raise the humidity. Something else to watch for though...did she start sitting on ALL the eggs at the same time?? Or could some have been laid after she first started sitting. If so- there may be one or two eggs behind a day or to in development.

5. Big Dreamer

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Im not really sure she layed a bunch and then started sitting and im pretty sure she layed them all then started sitting. She was sitting up until today and then she was attacked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by