1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovey numbers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsMcCluck, Mar 9, 2015.

1. MrsMcCluck

MrsMcCluck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2015
    Hello

I am after a some advice please.

We currently have three musco boys and seven girls. They came as a job lot and I knew beforehand that the ratio wasn't great but decided to observe them and work it out from there.

They free range on our farm all day and so far there haven't been any problems but I am aware that these numbers are not ideal.

I have two friends who would like a pair each. This would leave me with one boy and five girls.

Should I take them up on the offer? And how should I decide who stays and who goes? I really love them all (and so do my kids!)

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That sounds like a great way to get your numbers where they should be. I'm in the same boat but no one to take my extras. as far as choosing well you need to see whos hanging with who and choose accordingly I have 1 drake who is attached to 1 duck and they have been this way since he was 1 month old and she newly hatched. both single ducklings who just latched onto each other, I couldn't separate them they would have to go together. And next would be personality. Choose the most friendly out of the 3 drakes and 7 girls and keep them for your family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by