Muscovie Duck Broody?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FarmerBoy24, Jun 6, 2011.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    I think my duck is going broody. She sits on her nest all day but gets up once to get water food (etc)
    I'm not sure if she is broody. what are the signs of a duck going broody? I know how to tell a chickens but not a duck.

Thanks

2. DuckiesAndBees

DuckiesAndBees Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yes! (by gets up once I'm assuming you mean for minutes, not hours). Get ready for babies!

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Has she pulled any of her down out? she will pull it off her belly to add insulation to her nest for the eggs..... one of my girl pulled so much that her whole tummy is bald now [​IMG]

4. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

sound like one! [​IMG]

5. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Quote:Yes she did, however It was REALLY!!! [​IMG] poopy in there ( from the other ducks) So I had to change it. I hope she keeps her eggs

6. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    I also need to know how long it takes for her to hatch them? (days) Also would anyone happen to be selling any fertile duck eggs? [​IMG] [​IMG] I have 3 muscovies 1 i think is a male but I never seen him mate or lay an egg. [​IMG]

7. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    ANYONE? [​IMG]

8. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    The eggs should take 35 days or so to hatch as long as they were fertile which of course would require a drake. It should be easy enough to tell if it's a Drake. Drakes are...well...males and will mount the ducks ALL the time. Drakes are also huge; twice the size of females. Even a runt drake will have much thicker legs than the females.

9. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Quote:If so then i KNOW I have one hahaha but I never see him mount them? Is he too young?

10. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm not sure how old he is but they usually won't start to mount until they are around 6 months old. (this can vary widely) Once they figure it out, they mount all the time. My ducks who are sitting on their nests come out once a day to eat and drink and the drakes go crazy chasing after them to do their thing. Luckily for the girls, they can fly much better than the drakes and often escape. Once they are back on the nest, the drakes leave them alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by