Muscovie duck surprise! new duckling!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenLover200, Jul 25, 2014.

1. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Crowing

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I knew she was hiding a duckling somewhere! I finally saw the little one today! she's so cute! I'm hoping she's a girl!
    pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

So precious!! Congrats

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Crowing

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Thanks!
    Any advice on how to take care of the duckling?

4. Miss Lydia

As long as you keep mom and duckling in a safe area, and give plenty of fresh water [making sure duckling can't fall into anything and drown] and chick strarter or all flock Mom will take care of the rest. You are leaving it with mom aren't you?

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    aw, so sweet! does she not have housing? As ML said. Keep her safe, give size appropriate food for the little one and watch water areas are safe for little ones.

6. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Crowing

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Thanks. Anything else I should know?

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Main thing with mama's and babies is keeping them safe, while i free range my flock i do have an area that is fenced mama's primarily keep themselves and the kids in this area, coming out only only a bit and not super far even though they have full range of the farm, i also do head counts to ensure all babies have been brought in by the mothers.. they usually handle it all just fine, but i like reassurance lol

Watch again water pools, ponds etc.. young can drown if they get stuck and exhaust.. i often pull water pools that risk young and return them when the babies are of age to get in, one advantage with scovies is their claws make them far more agile than say.. Pekin lol

Here some of my last hatch in a 50GAL trough this they can get in/out of due to the ledge around the side, i also have boards butted up against one side..

[​IMG]

8. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Crowing

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    She is still with mother, but at the moment are free range and we don't have anywhere to put them in a run or anything. She seems to be alright for the past 5 or so days free range. Is it fine to keep momma and duckling with the drake?

I have a small kiddie pool for the older ducks should I dump it out for now?

If I do separate mother duck and duckling from the drake and put them in a fence the only thing I have is a small building and the duckling got stuck in chicken wire at least twice already. The door of the building is covered in chicken wore. I'm afraid she'll get stuck so I haven't separated momma ducka dn duckling from the drake.

Is it normal for the drake to be sometimes pecking the little one?
    Is he correcting her or is it bad behavior?

We just had a big storm last night and the only place the ducks like to go is underneath the smaller chicken coop we have for shelter. What about puddles that are deep? Will it hurt the duckling if she gets in them?

I have a small whipped cream bowl with water for duckling to drink out of. She can't drown in it can she? I put her in it to swim one day and she hopped right out. I guess she didn't like it..

Sorry about all the questions. I'm pretty new to hatching and keeping ducks. I've only ever taken care of chickens :)

9. Miss Lydia

Drakes have been known to kill ducklings so if your won't separate then that may happen he isn't disciplining the baby.If duckling can get into kiddy pool and can't get out and tires that's when drowning can happen. Sides of kiddy pools are hard for young water fowl to get out of. Is it pretty warm where you live? most likely unless the duckling stays wet and it's cool it should be okay and it will probably stay close to mama, is mama being attentive to it? I'd put the lid on the cool whip bowl and cut a hole large enough for duckling to put it's head into to drink this will keep any drowning out of the pic, but sounds like she has already learned how to get out of the bowl which is good. If duckling gets stuck in chicken wire then put something over the wire temp till she gets too big to go through .. They grow so fast it won't take long.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. sunnyfishy

sunnyfishy Chirping

Jul 15, 2014
    That's so adorable ♪
    I hope some day that my mallard surprises me with ducklings this same way :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: