Muscovie duckling with Rye neck! Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Luvs chickens, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    One of my muscovie ducklings has tortocollis ( wry neck) . How should I treat it. His neck Lolls to the side. I have tried bracing it but, doesn't work. he/she can walk and eat and drink but, when in the water he is unable to keep his head up. It seems to get worse everyday. [​IMG] wonder if he is going to have quality of life ? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a Welsh Harlequin that hatched with a twisted neck. I am giving her poly vi sol in her water and I sprinkle brewer's yeast on her food. She can eat, drink and preen without issue and seems to be enjoying herself. Like your duck, mine can't swim, but she does splash around in a shallow tray. Since she is a few weeks old and hitting a major growth spurt, she is having trouble at night when she gets tired, but is fine during the day.

Extra nutrition CAN help in many cases, but not all. It is worth a try though.

Our plan is to watch her closely, and see how she does. If she appears to be suffering or miserable, we will cull. But for now she is having a blast playing with her sister, eating minnows I put in the water tray, and digging in the grass for bugs.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  3. hossfeathers

hossfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    rye neck

FYI - I believe the term is actually 'wry neck' - as in 'twisted neck' not 'cereal grain neck'.

English is such a silly language with all these words that sound alike (but I love my mother tongue anyway.)​

4. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I've had success using GNC liquid B complex. For a duckling about a quarter of the dropper is sufficient. Along with the poly vi sol in the water, high protien gamebird feed, and a dose of B complex each morning, I've seen it completely fixed by the third day.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Go to a department store and pick up some Poly-vi-Sol infant drops(without iron). You can get a little into it's bill 3-4 times a day and you should see improvement in just a couple days.

I've fixed some really bad ones with this stuff and it's awesome. I just rehomed a duckling with wry neck because i wasn't home enough to give the drops enough but it was normal by the time the new owners came to pick it up!

Poly-vi-Sol is about $8 here in WA.

6. Luvs chickens

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    Thank you for the info. I gave the B complex and heading out to the store for the vitamins.

7. Luvs chickens

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    Thank you for setting me straight!
    Quote:FYI - I believe the term is actually 'wry neck' - as in 'twisted neck' not 'cereal grain neck'.

English is such a silly language with all these words that sound alike (but I love my mother tongue anyway.)

8. catlady58

catlady58 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    I had a teenaged duck that developed wry neck and I did weeks of water therapy with her! I would take her in the tub and try to reprogram her coordination. The vet told me they almost never survive it, but she got over it {(walked a little funny) and lived a long, happy life. Needless to say, she was devoted to me.[​IMG]

9. Luvs chickens

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    Day 2 of vitamin treatment.no change yet......... [​IMG]

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ducks grow really fast for the first 4-5 weeks. You wont really know how the duck is going to turn out until it stops that rapid growth phase. As long as the duck isn't suffering, keep with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by