Muscovies and flight...Any advice?

lesander

In the Brooder
6 Years
Our girls are almost 9 weeks and 10 weeks now...,getting big! In the last day or so our 10 week white girl has really starting flapping and getting a little distance. We have read so many different opinions on them and flight. I get that they may start trying to fly at different times cause different weights ect. Some people say they won't even try because they are domesticated, some say they might, some say they might even fly away. I don't like the idea of pinning their wings, sounds painful, and some have suggested plucking some primary flight feathers, that seems painful and these are our pets and don't want them to hate us! I managed a pet store years ago and did all the clipping for our small birds. I often tried clipping just one wing and most small birds can still fly pretty good and I would have to do both, is this the same with them? They are completely locked up at night, nothing's getting in their enclosure! During the day when they re out my property is pretty secure, have 10 ft fences on the sides and back of my property and about 12 ft fence on the other side, (they are very tall fences.) my dogs and cat don't let anything in the yard and keep a very good eye on their duckies! I am wondering if I should do both wings? Even though my yard is very private I do live in the city and don't want them somehow ending up on the road. Would love some different opinions of what others have done or what worked for them, thanks!

Our girls are almost 9 weeks and 10 weeks now...,getting big! In the last day or so our 10 week white girl has really starting flapping and getting a little distance. We have read so many different opinions on them and flight. I get that they may start trying to fly at different times cause different weights ect. Some people say they won't even try because they are domesticated, some say they might, some say they might even fly away. I don't like the idea of pinning their wings, sounds painful, and some have suggested plucking some primary flight feathers, that seems painful and these are our pets and don't want them to hate us! I managed a pet store years ago and did all the clipping for our small birds. I often tried clipping just one wing and most small birds can still fly pretty good and I would have to do both, is this the same with them? They are completely locked up at night, nothing's getting in their enclosure! During the day when they re out my property is pretty secure, have 10 ft fences on the sides and back of my property and about 12 ft fence on the other side, (they are very tall fences.) my dogs and cat don't let anything in the yard and keep a very good eye on their duckies! I am wondering if I should do both wings? Even though my yard is very private I do live in the city and don't want them somehow ending up on the road. Would love some different opinions of what others have done or what worked for them, thanks!
I have 3- 10 week old Scovy's that will be getting their wing clipped this coming week. I have clipped one wing on mine for years and have only had one fly after but I didn't clip short enough, I like this diagram which helped me a lot, now when they flap their wing I can tell they are off balance which means they cannot get lift. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/806587/duck-wings-clipped-but-still-flying#post_11757538

My girl scovies can fly...I prefer it that way, so that they can roost in the pen and get away from their amorous drake. Only one has flown out of the property, to sight see the neighborhood I suppose, LOL. Anyway, she came back home and has not flown out of the back yard since. One male scovie has his flight feathers trimmed from one wing and so, although he tries to fly, he cannot, due to becoming unbalanced. Not had any real problems with my scovies flying out of the property. I have two males, which are really large and heavy. Their flight is more of a long jump wih lots of flapping. They do not get to high off the ground. My grls, however, seem to love flying up onto the roof and trees...I guess showing off for the drakes, lol!

My girl scovies can fly...I prefer it that way, so that they can roost in the pen and get away from their amorous drake. Only one has flown out of the property, to sight see the neighborhood I suppose, LOL. Anyway, she came back home and has not flown out of the back yard since. One male scovie has his flight feathers trimmed from one wing and so, although he tries to fly, he cannot, due to becoming unbalanced. Not had any real problems with my scovies flying out of the property. I have two males, which are really large and heavy. Their flight is more of a long jump wih lots of flapping. They do not get to high off the ground. My grls, however, seem to love flying up onto the roof and trees...I guess showing off for the drakes, lol!
They poop enough on the ground Mi, I sure don't want them pooping on my roof.
smile.png

Ok we'll give the older one a clipping next week, do they like to hold a grudge? Lol we just got ours nice and hand tame, ill clip just the one wing and see what happens.
I wait until bedtime so they have all night to think about it but by morning they are threw being mad.
wink.png

Ya I wouldn't be too popular with the hubby, we just got our roof replaced 2 days ago lol! I must say on a side note my grass has never ever looked so green and
big_smile.png
Yep we have a metal roof and very steep at that it would come sliding off and hitting us in the head, Not a pretty sight But on the other hand duck poop works wonders on lawns and gardens. as you have found out
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom