muscovies and flying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kkattt, Aug 22, 2011.

1. kkattt

kkattt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Hi! So my two guys just learned how to fly... I really want to clip their wings but I am too "chicken" to do it. I have read that males do not fly that high... Is that true? One of mine flew about 6 feet off the ground... And he is 12 weeks old... Hmmm maybe he is a she? How high do yours fly?? [​IMG]

2. Ra_

Ra_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    North Central Florida
    The males stop flying as soon as they get a little heavier.
    Some of my females used to like to do huge circles over the neighborhood once a day.

If you clip the wings just take about a third off the flight feathers and it should be enough.
    You just have to be careful of clipping the shaft of a "blood feather".
    It will usually be darker than the other shafts and you'll be safe if you just take the feather tips.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'm hoping to not be in the same boat as you in a fe months. [​IMG]
    I just got 5 muscovy and figured I will wing clip as soon as possible. It will be difficult as DH is not too thrilled to assist in my fowl endeavers but usually I can bully him into it. LOL
    I can't take a chance with them being able to fly out of the yard though. With as much as some people hate them down here, stupid Floridians, I wouldn't risk their lives. I say, suck it up and do it. Google some directions, there are some very good ones and get some assistance. [​IMG]

Good luck

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My muscovy is just 11 weeks and I just clipped his one wing I used this to help, although I have clipped my others for over 7 years I wanted to be extra sure I was doing it right since he is my baby [​IMG] http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    The only feathers which should be clipped are the primary flight feathers. These are the ten long feathers on the outermost part of the wing. Start at the 10th primary (the one furthest from the body) and progress inward. How many primaries you need to clip varies by species and bird.

Feathers should be trimmed back so that the cut end is just under the major coverts. The coverts will thus surround the rough edges and help prevent them from irritating the skin. This is very important, as birds may begin feather plucking if the trimmed feathers are irritating.

[​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have a bunch of muscovys that fly all over the place. They can fly way higher than 6 feet in the air. They roost on the peacock aviary at night. They also fly in the pecan trees and roost at night. My highest flyers are my males. [​IMG]

This is where they fly and roost at night.
    [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:have you ever had anyone shoot one of them mistaking them for a wild duck? or do they pretty much stay on your property? we live above a mt. river and I have always been worried mine would fly down there [some have] and someone would kill them.

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:have you ever had anyone shoot one of them mistaking them for a wild duck? or do they pretty much stay on your property? we live above a mt. river and I have always been worried mine would fly down there [some have] and someone would kill them.

No, no one has ever shot any of them. I live in the country and everyone knows me and knows that my ducks fly on my property, so they don't bother them. My ducks like to fly because they like to "show off". [​IMG] They take a few laps around the property and may land on the house and then take a few more laps around again and then fly back in the chicken yard. They are so conceited. They will sometimes hear my truck coming down the road, so they will wait until I get close enough, take out flying (racing with my truck) and try to beat my truck pulling in the yard. They are something else. It's so funny when that happens.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

No, no one has ever shot any of them. I live in the country and everyone knows me and knows that my ducks fly on my property, so they don't bother them. My ducks like to fly because they like to "show off". [​IMG] They take a few laps around the property and may land on the house and then take a few more laps around again and then fly back in the chicken yard. They are so conceited. They will sometimes hear my truck coming down the road, so they will wait until I get close enough, take out flying (racing with my truck) and try to beat my truck pulling in the yard. They are something else. It's so funny when that happens.

I bet thats a sight to see them racing your truck, the only way my 2 drakes can take off is to get up high on the bank behind our home, then I'm not sure my oldest could even do that now.. [​IMG] But my girls use to take off and end up at the river, and I would worry myself sick that someone or something would get them, so now they get their wings clipped. My one female will jump onto the feeder house roof and take off and do a belly flopper on the ground, it's funny to watch. She doesn't hurt herself because she does it at least once a day.

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LOL @ belly flopper!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    LOL @ does it at least once a day!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I wish that you could film her and post the video. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by