Muscovies and foie gras- an experiment

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by City Chicken, Dec 9, 2014.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    First.... Conventional foie gras is abuse, and i dont support it.
    Second.... We eat our ducks and if you dont thats ok, but dont be offended.
    Third.... I love experiments, and if you do too, follow along!

So, i lvoe foie gras after living in france for five hears and having this occasional treat, but its not humane, so thats a bummer. However, there is a spanish guy who is raising geese on pasture and still managing to produce foie gras without the force feeding. He (and generations before him) discovered that in the fall they automatically gorge themselves in preparation for winter.
    I noticed that my own 2 largest male muscovies were getting quite heavy, stealing the chickens and even the dogs food!
    So, here is my experiment. Separate the two largest greediest drakes (and give everyone a break!!) and give them unlimited feed.
    They will be processed in two weeks anyway for christmas presents.

I will photograph the carcass and we can examine the liver together. :) either way it will be eaten, but if it is buttery and foie gras like, all the better!

Has anyone tried this?

Again, there will be no force feedings, just separation and free feeding.

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't forget to pen them up (2-4sq ft each) so that they keep the calories instead of burning them. I love this idea, especially considering how they will be treated. Definitely let us know how it goes!

3. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Yes! I have them penned and ill take a photo do you can see.
    I had a little issue getting them to eat the corn, so i had to soak and grind it! Then added some home rendered lard. That should work.
    :D
    Others have said their ducks love whole corn... So must just be that they aren't used to it. Im also making sure they have a little extra gravel available just in case so they don't have digestive issues.
    They are looking fat to me, but the quality of the liver won't be seen till processing.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    My ducks go nuts for "rolled corn". It usually sold for horses, so make sure they don't tax it if you decide to try it.

-Kathy

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I live in France and there is a local farm that produces fois gras...

Maybe you should look up the following:

Bert De Fois Gras....it is in the Allier 03130...

Everyone is welcome to view the Canard (Ducks ) being fed, and there is no cruelty nor force feeding....

I am well aware of cruel methods used to produce some fois gras and I personally avoid eating it...my ducks are a wonderful part of my life and give me so much pleasure in just being in their environment...some fois gras here at the moment is extremely expensive...usually from the South of France...why? I do not know methods used to justify the costs....you can pay in excess of 150 euro's per kilo...

I feed any duck liver to my dogs...they appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by