Muscovies are an Acquired Taste (PICS LOTS)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, Dec 26, 2008.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    This is most of our group of six: THE BIRD ON THE CINDER BLOCK IS FOR SALE. AND THE BIRD IN THE BACKGROUND WHOM YOU CAN SEE IS ALSO FOR SALE

[​IMG]

All these birds came from BYCer Birch Run Farm. Four on November 22, the other two on Dec. 6.

This is momma. SHE IS FOR SALE NOW. She is about 16 months old, and began mothering and FOSTER MOTHERING ALL AT ONCE this very year. All the other birds you see in these pics were raised by her--yet NONE are blood-related. Three cheers for this good little mother, I say!

[​IMG]

This is the Alpha drake--he came AFTER the first drake did, yet immediately put him under his (webbed) feet, so to say. HE IS FOR SALE NOW. Look at that tail wagging. He and the little mother torment the Beta drake all day long, chasing him about. The alpha drake simply does not want him around (you'd think it was breeding season! Thoughts on this anyone?) Anyway, Alpha and Momma--BOTH OF WHOM ARE FOR SALE--are not here pursuing the sweet little Duclair Pied girl at the left. NO, they are gearing up for another pursuit of Buddy, the sweet underdog drake.

[​IMG]

Here is another shot. Muscovies are really interesting in their behavior...BOTH BIRDS DISPLAYING ARE FOR SALE

[​IMG]

See here poor little Buddy disappearing around the left side of the coop, while his own mother (!) --FOR SALE--slowly pursues him. The two little girls in the foreground are wisely making room! THE BLACK-HEADED GIRL MOVING TO THE RIGHT IS THE THIRD BIRD WHO IS FOR SALE.

[​IMG]

And here is my little Buddy, the underdog.

[​IMG]

Here is the alpha drake all riled up--no not aggression here. I don't know what was getting him at the moment! HE IS FOR SALE

[​IMG]

Here he is at the waterin' hole--nobody gets in his way--nobody.

[​IMG]

This little doll is Smoki: she came on Dec. 6th with the Alpha drake. Her head coloring is velvety due to the subtle mixture of gray in the black. THIS AGAIN IS THE THIRD BIRD FOR SALE

[​IMG]

I used to think scovies were useless and ugly. But not any more. They are not for kids, though, lol. An acquired taste. We will use them to fostermother our Campbells as well as for meat (which is reportedly much superior in every way to all other duck meat).

Now would you say this little 7 month old is ugly? She's a little doll! She has nearly perfect Duclair Pied pattern.

[​IMG]

And you could swear this is her twin! Another cutie:

[​IMG]

Finally, Buddy the beta drake usually hangs out (when he is not being chased around) with the 4 young hens. Here they are (maybe one is not visible)

[​IMG]

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

If we are not allowed to say Merry Christmas, then I demand that Christmas carols be taken off all radio stations and that all work a full day on Dec. 25th.

BLESSED CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND BLESSED NEW YEAR.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Very interesting ducks. Great photos too.

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Duckmonk,

The birds all look very happy! Those are some really nice photos, your camera or maybe it is your technique, beats mine! I am glad you are enjoying the ducks, I bet they like not having bossy chickens around!

4. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Thanks for your comments, panel!

Yes, hats off to Birch Run Farm, the source of these birds. Too bad for all of you, I got the picks of the bunch!!! [​IMG]

BTW BIRCH! Have you slaughtered the 'extras' yet?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
  5. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Love Muscovies! Especially when the drakes raise their hair. Looks like a 50's haircut! Best part about them is that they are so quiet.

6. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    Haha, I agree 100% with the OP wheh said they're not for kids! I remember years ago as a kid my drakes would chase me, and then the geese would save me. [​IMG] Great thread!

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I think these ducks are really beautiful. Great shots!

8. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I just love the Muscovy! We have white ones. Still love looking at their pretty blue eyes. My kids helped me raise them and they play with them all the time. We have several hens that come over to visit our side of the ranch for treats from the kids. And only one drake that has decided to chase anyone. So far he has learned to stay clear of the kids because they just pick him up and carry him around when he has tried to chase them. LOL Overall they have very cool personalities. And yes, they don't much like our chickens. LOL

9. Kats

Kats Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Lovely photos! And beautiful birds. We look forward to getting our first Muscovies in the spring, so I hang around here reading all I can find on them.

CountryMom, how did you get them so docile with your kids? Have they been played with since hatching? I heard you had to be careful how you handled Muscovies because of their sharp talons. But your kids have obviously mastered it!

10. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Quote:We have always had Muscovies out here on our ranch. They have been a favorite of my FIL and MIL. The last flock never really got close or were pets. 2 yrs ago a coyote basically wiped them out. My FIL asked me to get more and raise them. So we got some this summer from Country Hatchery and the kids did most of the work. They were handled since birth and loved getting treats from the kid's hands. My kids are not afraid of much and don't usually let any animal scare them off easily. They know when to get outof the way of an angry cow for obvious reasons, but have a good sense from all the critters we have what can and can't be done.

As for the sharp claws, yes they have them. Have to grab them by their "hock" area to keep them from scratching you. I am sure you have heard of the Pedi Paw? That so called wonderful dog nail filer? Didn't work for squat on our dogs, so the kids took it over and file every chicken and duck we have. LOL It all started with grooming the silkie's nails. Then progressed onto anything sharp clawed with feathers. It sure helps.

I think if handled the Muscovies are great pets really. The hens are so sweet and other than the one head drake being a bit grumpy, the other drakes are good. That grumpy drake decided one day to go after my daughter on her pony. So she just got off and picked him up and rode off for about 30 minutes with him. He doesn't bother any of the kids much at all after that. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by