Muscovies are Hurting Each Other! :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bananarose24, May 17, 2011.

1. Bananarose24

Bananarose24 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm not sure if it is because they are bored, or because it is mating season or what exactly.. But our muscovies are Not being nice to each other lately! [​IMG]

We have 5 adults, we've had them since August/September of last year. This is our first mating/hatching season and we are learning as we go. So far we have 2 ducklings in addition to the 5 adults.

They live in an enclosure (due to a bad attack last year), they have a dog igloo inside (which is where they are brooding/hatching their eggs). Other than that they have food and water in there (we just put a small pool back in because we had a duckling drowned [​IMG] )..

The 2 females who are brooding look beautiful, and completely healthy--they spend most of their time inside the igloo. The 1 female who is NOT brooding looks like Crap! She is all dirty, lots of feathers missing, she is often bloody (top of back sometimes--due to mating, that is where the talons on the males feet would fall), also found blood on her face a few times (not sure why?)..

We have 2 males, we are giving 1 away on Thursday because he looks horrible and is picked on terribly by the females (the Other one is dominant). The dominant male looks Ok.

Ideas? Suggestions?
    We are planning to expand their enclosure by September at the latest.. we have realized that especially with ducklings in there it is just too small for all of them (roughly 6ft x12ft enclosure).

Anything I could do to make them happier in the current enclosure? Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Get some T posts and a roll of welded wire fencing and expand that enclose now. With such small accomodations, the birds are stressed. I have exactly the same ratio of birds with two setting and one hang-dog looking drake. The third duck however is and always has been our most beautiful duck--she is blue. She sees more action than she cares for but has plenty of space to run away. More space will answer most of your issues. Try to separate out the extra drake now (in that larger area I suggested).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by