Muscovies are taking over my yard!!

@crazyfeathers I doubt he even knows or cares they're gone. My nice neighbors across the street have quite a few of his chickens because their little daughter catches them (and has been known to sneak onto his property and take them right from his backyard). He buys and sells so much and has so many losses he probably can't keep track.

Could I control the population by collecting all eggs right away and not letting them sit on them amd hatch? I haven't seem a single egg but they're probably not in good enough health at the moment. I am also learning that these guys don't roost either, even with plenty of trees around. They are lined up in my flower beds and on the front porch. Usually they head home at dusk so I don't know why all of a sudden they've made my front porch home. Ofcourse I have no idea what housing, if any he provides for them. I plan on reporting him amd calling the township about his operation. I may also advertise free muscovies to good homes to reduce the population.

If I do, do muscovies have bonded relationships they should stay with? I noticed some have groups they stick with but this seems to have something to do with pecking order.

@Vosh Sahaal that is a very good idea. Luckily I have pictures from all along because I was showing my co-worker who knows I'm a sucker for strays. I doubt he knows or cares, he probably thinks they're dead. They are free to go back if they want but if he wants to take them he can pay me for all the food and medical care I've put into them.

@crazyfeathers I doubt he even knows or cares they're gone. My nice neighbors across the street have quite a few of his chickens because their little daughter catches them (and has been known to sneak onto his property and take them right from his backyard). He buys and sells so much and has so many losses he probably can't keep track.

Could I control the population by collecting all eggs right away and not letting them sit on them amd hatch? I haven't seem a single egg but they're probably not in good enough health at the moment. I am also learning that these guys don't roost either, even with plenty of trees around. They are lined up in my flower beds and on the front porch. Usually they head home at dusk so I don't know why all of a sudden they've made my front porch home. Ofcourse I have no idea what housing, if any he provides for them. I plan on reporting him amd calling the township about his operation. I may also advertise free muscovies to good homes to reduce the population.

If I do, do muscovies have bonded relationships they should stay with? I noticed some have groups they stick with but this seems to have something to do with pecking order.
You can control the pop by collecting eggs. I do this with mine. Be ware though if you advertise for free alot of them will go for food. I'd ask 10.00 each. That would give you some income to make them a nice shelter also. I had 2 extra drakes and because of fighting I had to sell them, I got 10.00 each and also put in the ad not for food.

and the reason they are staying at your home now is because you are actually feeding them and care.

I'm not looking to make money off of them but it wouldn't hurt to have some help with all the food they scarf down and getting a decent shelter done. I used up most of my scrap lumber building the little chicken coop (that I still need to post pics of). I'm concerned about them going to a place where they can have proper care and shelter. I counted 43 of them, including one who looked like a very young mallard, and one brown and white non-muscovy duck. I believe most of them are female except for maybe 4-5 or so drakes. Someone from this site did message me about getting a few so hopefully some will have a new home soon.

It is supposed to be windy, snowy and bitter cold tonight. So I plan on grabbing some pallets and plastic sheeting from work and making a makeshift shelter along the side of the house. Hopefully that will do. There are plenty of dead leaves from fall around since I live in the woods, so I can rake some of those in for some bedding. It just never gets old walking across the yard and hearing the quiet rustling behind me, and turning around to find 40 ducks following my every move.

I'm not looking to make money off of them but it wouldn't hurt to have some help with all the food they scarf down and getting a decent shelter done. I used up most of my scrap lumber building the little chicken coop (that I still need to post pics of). I'm concerned about them going to a place where they can have proper care and shelter. I counted 43 of them, including one who looked like a very young mallard, and one brown and white non-muscovy duck. I believe most of them are female except for maybe 4-5 or so drakes. Someone from this site did message me about getting a few so hopefully some will have a new home soon.

It is supposed to be windy, snowy and bitter cold tonight. So I plan on grabbing some pallets and plastic sheeting from work and making a makeshift shelter along the side of the house. Hopefully that will do. There are plenty of dead leaves from fall around since I live in the woods, so I can rake some of those in for some bedding. It just never gets old walking across the yard and hearing the quiet rustling behind me, and turning around to find 40 ducks following my every move.
The only reason I mentioned asking for money was it would make someone think more of keeping them than eating them. I'd also call any sanctuary's in your area unless you've already done that.

Thanks so much for caring for these ducks. If they are going home at dusk they might be laying eggs where they sleep at night. You might be right tho with the condition their in they might not be laying eggs at all. I hope they can find a warm and dry place to sleep tonight. Bless your heart for caring for them and hopefully you can adopt some of them out.

If possible can you take some pictures of them. I would love to see them.

Well I built a makeshift shelter and put scratch in it but unfortunately they came right back to the front porch for the night. Silly ducks. I see powerwashing in my future.

I have pics but for some reason it wont let me upload from my phone. Ill have to transfer them to my work computer and upload.

Back
Top Bottom