1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovies aren't laying eggs yet. Why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Steffanyace, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Steffanyace

Steffanyace Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2012
    I saw on Craigslist where other people in my area have muscovy ducklings recently hatched for sale. My trio, I was told, was starting to lay when I got them last summer. They never had any eggs, but I thought it is possible that they were still too young. I know the drake is taking care of his part, so what's up with the girls? Can they physically decide wether or not to lay eggs? If so, I'm jealous, LOL!

I'm thinking that there isn't a spot in their area that provides what they would feel as safe ground cover. If I got them something like pampas grass would that make them comfortable to start nesting? Could they feel too intimidated by the drake? He isn't mean, but he is alpha duck.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    They are seasonal layers so its just getting back to the time they'd lay. Providing a safe nest area may help. Keep in mind that you want them to nest in an area that is safe enough for them to set for up to 35 days. So, in the coop would be best.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree. What are your temps like? We got this warm spell back in Jan and that kicked everything off, i had several laying and then at the start of Feb one decided to set a nest [​IMG]

Having drakes about shouldn't be an issue, i have two.. it goes on as if they don't exist, i'll tell you THEY don't even challenge a broody.. they can be one mean lady. [​IMG]

We've gone wicked cold again, so a few have stopped laying, my nesting one is still firmly planted on those potential babies however.

4. Steffanyace

Jul 14, 2012
    I'm in central Texas. The weather changes quite a bit, but for the most part it is in the 60's - 70's in the day and 40's - 50's at night.

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Are you sure you are in Canada and not Boston. I don't hear that except from hubby and his childhood friends from there. LOL

I would expect them soon then. If you aren't providing a layer feed make sure to give a calcium supplement, just in case. They can hide those buggers well too. So, keep your eye out for it.

6. Steffanyace

Jul 14, 2012
    They are free ranging on about 2 to 3 acres. That would be quite an Easter egg hunt! :)

Won't she lay them all in the same place and eventually go sit on them when broody? I figured I'd let her keep them until I get the hang of this laying stuff. I'm still a newby.

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Yes she will, most likely. But you need to consider how much of a "sitting duck" she will be for predators. Muscovy take 32-35 days to hatch so she will be in the same spot for that period, all day and night except for 15-30 minutes or so.

8. Steffanyace

Jul 14, 2012
    I was hoping to have her find a comfy spot to make a nest and then I could find it and transfer her and her eggs/nest to the duck house. I think if I left her locked in the duck house she would stress and not lay eggs. I thought letting her free range until she had a nest built up and then move them might give me the best chance of finding it. Idk. I'm really just guessing.

9. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I make nests for mine where I want them to be. I use upside down totes with doors cut in them. Mine like these. Though 1 sometimes goes to the chicken's coop to lay her egg in their nests. It will be easier to get her used to laying where you want her to than to try to change her mind later.

Make a nest in a quiet, darkened area in the coop and put a golf ball or fake egg in it. This usually helps, not always though. When she starts laying, either leave a fake egg in the nest or leave and egg for the day so that she realizes that it is safe to lay there. To them, egg in nest=safe nest

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    LOL! I've actually never even left the province i was born/raised in. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by