Muscovies as momma's?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fastrnrik, Sep 18, 2012.

1. fastrnrik

fastrnrik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    We have several ducks, 23 to be exact, - pekins, swedish, runners, rouens, mallard, etc. and we get eggs every day. None of them ever sit on them, which is pretty normal from what I've read on here. We would like to have some babies at some point, so it seems that my choices are to incubate the eggs we find, or get a duck that will actually have some babies. I don't really have time to incubate eggs so a momma duck it is LOL. I have been reading and it seems that muscovies are great mommas and like to be broody, so that is what I'm thinking of getting. They are readily available in my area, but before I run out to the swap meet and get a few I had a few questions.... Will the girls sit on other birds eggs? I have read that they steal other ducks eggs, and will even sit on goose eggs, is that true? If that's the case, then it seems like I could get a couple hens to be surrogates? Or should I get a muscovy drake and a couple females and let them do their own thing? I have read that a few muscovy can quickly become a large group, but I will sell or give most of them away if it becomes a problem. Sorry if these are dumb questions, just trying to get some more info. Thank you.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I assume you have drakes mixed in among the ducks you mentioned? Muscovies make awesome brooder and mothers and will sit on other ducks eggs, chicken eggs and goose eggs, my scovie hatched a goose. and i find them from time to time sitting on chciken eggs that have been laid where the ducks have laid. lol. what ever you decide to do you'll have mule ducklings from a mix between a scovie and another breed of duck. and Muscovy drakes get very large and will mate with your ducks of other breeds. Nothing wrong with mule ducks other than being sterile but these are things you need to know if you don't already. And I know folks on here that have had Runnners, pekins and mallard. brood successfully how old are your ducks?

3. fastrnrik

fastrnrik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    Thank you for the info. Yes I have several drakes mixed in. I have heard of the muscovy crosses being sterile. They are just pets so I don't really worry too much about that. I am really just curious about how the muscovy females will take care of things. Will I have to put the eggs together for them or will they do it all on their own? I guess I can just get a couple girls and see what happens?

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    It is said they are, however i feel it varies. Some are definitely better than others... for instance, my one is fabulous! she actually stole the nest she hatched out and guarded those babies for weeks, she was like a bulldog lol The other duck? she was okay but did stay at to long by the time the duckling was a few weeks she was losing interest fast. The final duck? nope, ever again.. at least not for hatching, she killed one, killed a few others before they hatched fully. If they are older? she seems okay but the starting process is a fail with her.

I still have another duck, she has never gone broody and shows zero interest in young birds, ever of any stage.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    How old are your ducks?
    Are you leaving the eggs in the nest for them to set on? Several of the breeds you have are know to go broody, several not. But they will not go broody, typically, until they feel that they have enough eggs to set on.
    Do you have enough nests?
    Are they quiet/safe enough for a duck to feel like she can brood there?
    Could a duck be being chased off of a nest by another duck/drake etc?
    Muscovy are typically good broodies/mothers but I am surprised that you have that many ducks and none have gone broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by