Muscovies banned?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Zaxby's2, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I was reading a thread in the stickies index and it was confusing but it looked like muscovies were banned from being given away or kept as pets. Does this mean I can't have muscovies? Or did I just read it wrong? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I have them too. Hope you can keep them I have become really attached to mine.[​IMG]

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I think it depends on where you are located. We can where i am ON, Can, i have 6 myself [​IMG]

4. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    So it is true? By the way, I don't have muscovies, I just wanted to know if I would be able to get them or not. [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I think some places are so over run with them that they are killing them off. Sad but true. I have 9 and love them to pieces. Those of us who had them before the law went into effect are grandfathered in. But I noticed in my Back Yard Poultry Mag. that some hatchery was still selling them, [​IMG] I think Fl. is killing them off. maybe other states too. [​IMG]

6. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I understand, they are not enforcing any regulations for domesticated muscovies kept as pets and livestock. Don't worry about it.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    There's actually an entire thread about the new Muscovy regulations in the legal forum othis site. They're not totally banned, but there are restrictions on how they can be owned or how they are bought and sold.

8. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    So....... would it be possible for me to buy a muscovy for a pet?

9. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Zaxby's2 :

So....... would it be possible for me to buy a muscovy for a pet?

I think you might have to claim that you were planning to eat it, the way I read the rules pets are frowned upon.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by