Muscovies breeding in 0-10F temps

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zook, Dec 30, 2013.

1. zook

zook Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Just wondering how many of you who have very cold temps down to 0F or colder with wind chill factored in have muscovies actively breeding. I have a 22.5 week old drake in with 3 girls, who he is actively breeding on a daily basis.

It is very strange but he "seems" to initiate mating more so when I go in to feed them or to turn out the lights for the night. Its very cold tonight with wind chills feeling like +3F and I witnessed him again breeding one of the ducks. He is not practicing even though not very old because I was standing only 3 feet away, witnessed copulation, him keeling over her on completion and quite impressed with himself dragging his privates along as he got up.

Has anyone else have known them to start breeding in very cold December temps before. Is this normal or do I have a very frisky drake. Also with this much attention will my girls begin laying soon. Also in there room in the barn there is 3 corners of the pen where I assume they are either resting or making deep dish shaped depressions in the pine shavings down to the floor. Would these be nests the are preparing or do they sleep in them maybe. I never witness anyone siting in one of these.

Would like to hear thoughts from keepers buried in snow and freezing temps right now and there observations. Thanks. Oh Happy New Year tomorrow from Canada

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Bean, our buff drake, still makes time with Hazel and sometimes Romy.

3. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    My drake Khaki is still chasing after his girls no matter how cold it is. Was in the teens and single digits yesterday and that didn't stop him.[​IMG]

4. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Are your girls actually laying now in the depth of winter is are the drakes the only ones getting anything out of it.[​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's amazing you are seeing mating this time of year, but even though we are farther south much farther I am begining to see mating here and someone I am thinking it's one of my younger ducks is going onto the stalls and making indentations in the shaving like she is thinking about laying. So like I said before they can sure surprise us. This last Jan mine began mating and started laying eggs about 2-4 weeks after mating started. these are all my ducks 3yrs and younger not my older ones they have always waited till March or April to begin it all. So to see my young ones already mating just in the last couple of weeks has really surprised me. So start keeping an eye out for eggs so they don't freeze on ya.

Happy New Year!!!

p.s. Hows Turbo doing?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  6. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Turbo is doing very well. He is quite an escape artist and although he stands or rolls on his back so I can wrap him he manages later to have it laying on his pen shavings within hours. So we will just trim his feathers when they are all grown in. The blood is receding now in his flight feathers. He is getting so big, and loves going for walks to check the mail with me and Munk and out to the barn. We have community mailboxes here and ours is actually on the very far west edge of my acreage so when we walk across the lawn people love to slow down and watch our little parade. So cute.

The depressions in the shavings is a new thing, they did not do that before mating started. I will be adding more shavings soon and will add a excess of it near each nest so they can build it up then if they choose. 3 ducks in the pen and 3 depressions. I'm guessing only the duck are making them, not the drake.Always have my eye out for eggs. I won't let any girls set on eggs till like Feb-Mar.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I bet that is a sweet pic, my dh and our drake love to hang out together and when I can let them into the back yard he will go to dh's work shed with him and hang out, they just have the neatest personalities. I am also seeing some of my older girls going into the houses now like they are scouting out possible laying sights. this is a first for me so I'll be watching closely. We had some mild spring like temps a couple weeks ago and last 2 days it's warmed up into lowers 40's, I think they get confused with this crazy weather. and of course the young drakes hormones are at 150% or higher right now. But I saw one of my ducks 7 months olds laying flat in the pool for my gander yesterday she really is confused. LOL

8. zook

Sep 21, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I had a thought but forgot to include to ask earlier. I have some layer pellets from earlier (Sept) should I mix a bit with the pellets they get now and if so would it hurt the drake to get more calcium than he needs. You can't feed them separate its impossible. I never had soft shell eggs from my ducks last year only a few with my chickens.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hazel is still laying.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by