Muscovies breeding in 0-10F temps

I don't feed layer, way to many drakes and frankly, i think long term exposure to excessive calcium levels can be a concern for drakes/roos. I put free choice oyster shell out, the drakes at first may take a nibble but usually soon realize it's not of interest.

Purina feeds are good, so are Masterfeeds, right now i have feed that is house brand made by Masterfeeds. There is a feed called Golden harvest by Purina(6051) it's a multipurpose complete.. but a crumble so not necessarily ideal for mature ducks but mine can eat it and it's good straight through(age wise), i have started many ducks and chickens on it, there is Surgain too, had it here the duck grower but it's no good for chickens, so that is why i don't use it, as my main chickens free range and then were eating the darn duck feed lol

Last edited:
Why not finish them up on it so it's not wasted then buy an all flock feed and everyone can eat it, I don't feed my drakes ganders or rooster laying feed, it's alot of extra calcium and I have read it's hard on their kidneys, but some do feed it to their whole flock, I'd rather err on the side of caution and use an all flock and put out Oyster shell for my egg layers, but mixing it in till used up would be fine.

X2

Well its -18C or 0F with a wind chill of -28C or -18F and that crazy drake is out there trying to mate again. Man I would think a Drake would never expose the jewels to those temps. raging hormones over sanity.
lau.gif

Well its -18C or 0F with a wind chill of -28C or -18F and that crazy drake is out there trying to mate again. Man I would think a Drake would never expose the jewels to those temps. raging hormones over sanity.
lau.gif
You got it, just be ready with the hair dryer in case of frozen parts.
roll.png

You got it, just be ready with the hair dryer in case of frozen parts.
roll.png
Hopefully he calms down now I am done out there, till I check on them after lunch. He definitely starts the breeding behavior each time I go out in the morning to feed and water. What to do , I have to be out there. For whatever reason in his mind the sight of me means time to breed for him and thats right now. Its pretty strange to have them mating right beside me as I am filling there food and water buckets. Usually do 2-3 daytime checks before bedtime in case there water get an ice covering. Monday they are calling for +8C or 42 F. No wonder they are screwed up. I'll bet they are "busy" then.

Hopefully he calms down now I am done out there, till I check on them after lunch. He definitely starts the breeding behavior each time I go out in the morning to feed and water. What to do , I have to be out there. For whatever reason in his mind the sight of me means time to breed for him and thats right now. Its pretty strange to have them mating right beside me as I am filling there food and water buckets. Usually do 2-3 daytime checks before bedtime in case there water get an ice covering. Monday they are calling for +8C or 42 F. No wonder they are screwed up. I'll bet they are "busy" then.
They will think spring has sprung. Okay just speculation here but Drake sees you as another drake, reason being Opie sees my dh that way, only when I am outside with them though, when i'm not there he follows dh all over they can be side by side and Opie is just the sweetest thing, then I enter the picture, Opie starts nibbling on dh then it's all out bites mainly on his shoes and pant legs but I keep telling him once summer gets here ouch. And If Opie jumps one of his girls right close to me [none of my other drakes act like this] I push him off with my foot. I also have done this with my roos too, it's just letting them know I am dominant head here. When I push him off the girls run for their lives.
lol.png

They will think spring has sprung. Okay just speculation here but Drake sees you as another drake, reason being Opie sees my dh that way, only when I am outside with them though, when i'm not there he follows dh all over they can be side by side and Opie is just the sweetest thing, then I enter the picture, Opie starts nibbling on dh then it's all out bites mainly on his shoes and pant legs but I keep telling him once summer gets here ouch. And If Opie jumps one of his girls right close to me [none of my other drakes act like this] I push him off with my foot. I also have done this with my roos too, it's just letting them know I am dominant head here. When I push him off the girls run for their lives.
lol.png
Admiral (drake) never bites or nips me just lots of hissing and raised crown. but once he starts at his girls its like I am not there anymore. I think will be quite challenging with Turbo though when he turns 5 months. He see's me as his best bud. I do wonder what it will be like once his hormones click. loves us to death now but... I'll try pushing him away if he starts to close, and who wants mating going on against your leg anyways.
wink.png

Admiral (drake) never bites or nips me just lots of hissing and raised crown. but once he starts at his girls its like I am not there anymore. I think will be quite challenging with Turbo though when he turns 5 months. He see's me as his best bud. I do wonder what it will be like once his hormones click. loves us to death now but... I'll try pushing him away if he starts to close, and who wants mating going on against your leg anyways.
wink.png

That's for sure. Some things are just meant for private.
roll.png

New pics!! Same here as Ontario with wind chill is -30C outside with major blizzard warning for tonight and Friday. But Nova Scotia is supposed to warm come Sun-Tues with Monday a +8C. No wonder animals get so screwed up. pic of Turbo today. His cage is 2 feet wide panels so he is really getting big but he is 10 weeks today. I am thinking at 12 weeks he should be able to go in the barn. Should I acclimatize him to cooler temps or cold turkey put him out?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom