Muscovies brooding in January/February--trying to plan a vacation

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BirdBrain, Nov 22, 2010.

1. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    So I know you are probably already laughing about actually trying to plan a vacation around when my muscovies will be laying and or brooding, but I wondered if you could just slow down to a low chuckle long enough to help me out. [​IMG]

I have Muscovies that were hatched out June 1, 2010 which will put them at 7 months on January 1, 2011. The breeder thought that they would begin to lay in January...but it is really cold up here at that time of year. In states like Idaho, Wisconsin and Minnesota, do Muscovies really start laying at that time of the year? Or is that just for warmer climates? In colder climates, don't the eggs freeze before they collect enough to brood? I have no idea what to do about brooding and trying to plan when to get away for a bit. I have good neighbors who would feed and water the animals, but what to do about these silly ducks? I guess I don't even know what I don't know. Anyone want to take a stab at my quandry? [​IMG]

2. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    In Alaska you have very short day in January (a few hrs or so?) so I would not be worry about Muscovies breeding in this environment.

3. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Quote:Well, they have been breeding for over a month. They also have supplimental light so they get 12-14 hours of light a day.

Anyone from Northern US or Canada have any experience here?

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Mine started laying in january of this year. The recently quit for their molt but are back to laying again. I think a lot of it depends on the conditions & the bloodlines you have. Mine have always been excellent layers but some that i have adopted elsewhere have been not so good.

they may well start to lay in January, and possibly brood but the eggs may freeze if it's not a heated coop. Will the neighbors collect the eggs while you're gone? free eggs while they duck sit [​IMG]

ETA: I am in the chilly PNW.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  5. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    The neighbors will gladly collect eggs. How successful do you think it would be to leave a sitting duck for 2 weeks if the neighbor knew to leave her alone?

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Where in AK are you?
    I wouldn't worry about a duck sitting while you are gone, but I'd be worried about when those suckers would be hatching.

I'd just have your neighbor collect the eggs while they are doing the other animal chores.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have one still sitting on eggs and they're still growing but our temps are different than in alaska! lol I suppose if she has good enough nesting material that will help her keep the eggs warm enough, she/they should be fine.

I had a duck hen that drug an empty feed bag to her nest from the feed shed.. she shredded it up pretty good and used it in her nest. was really weird but she had a great hatch. Maybe you could give her some cloth-like material that will help hold heat good. if you do though, make sure it's not thready or somthing she could get her feet stuck in. Do a test with it too and see if she will accept it for nesting(and make sure she won't wanna eat it!). i can "hand feed" mine fresh hay/straw for their nests when they're brooding.

8. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    The nest boxes are stacable bins that I have separated and filled with hay. They are on the floor of the coop under their roosting shelf. There are golf balls in there. Silly birds go by, bury the balls and carry on with their business. Right now they are in the run eating snow.

I am in Anchorage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by