Muscovies day 31 with early pip...please help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tink0602, Jun 5, 2011.

1. tink0602

tink0602 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    I am on day 29 with my Muscovies in the bator. Some of them have been moving a bit for the past few days. I noticed that the air cell has gotten significantly larger and sloped, so I stopped turning them and put the wide end of the air cell up. I can see shadowing at the base of the air cell, and from what I have read I think that means they are close to internally pipping. But it is early!! I was also freaking out a bit, because the air cell seems big. How big is too big?? I put two extra warm wet washcloths in there last night, and the window is partially fogged up. I know I have increased the humidity, which is good, but can it be too high at this point? Could I see the shadowing because they are being squished in there by a too big air cell??
    Is it too late to help them, if the air cell is too large? I took one of the washcloths out this morning. Am I too early for lockdown? Should I candle again tonight and see if they have internally pipped or just wait and leave it closed??

Please, please....I would love some advice from someone experienced...this is my first time and I already know how hard Muscovies can be to incubate. I don't want to mess this up at the end.

Thank you!!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Ducklings will do alot of moving in their egg, long before they're ready to hatch so I wouldn't be worried.
    I've always used a broody muscovy for hatching, never a brooder, so I'm not too sure about that part - although I have heard give or take a day tepending on your temperature.
    Day 29 for muscovies is too early, they wont be internally pipping unless they are a mixed breed
    Having a big air cell doesn't matter and it varies in eggs - I've candled my ducks eggs to see sloping air sacs and all, they all hatched.
    I'm not sure when is lock down for incubation [​IMG] two days before? But whenever it is, do it at the required time, not on your judgements of candling especially if your new at it. If your really worried maybe you can get an experience person to candle your eggs in town? Or post pictures up as there are plenty of experienced people on here that are very good at it.
    If you think they've internally pipped listen for their peeping/tapping
    Goodluck [​IMG]

3. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    I don't hear any peeping/tapping, so that is good, right? I hope I am just being an over paranoid "mama duck".

I just don't know if I should keep the humidity cranked, or not. Is it bad of the windows are somewhat fogged???

4. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    Can anybody help me with the window fogging up issue? Should I leave it this high?[​IMG]

5. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    Most of what I seem to be finding in the forum is related to chicken eggs - and I know they need a different humidity than ducks....I don't know what to do...

[​IMG]

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I think your over reacting as its so early, keep up your normal ruitine you had with your eggs before you worried [​IMG]

Peeping/tapping means they'd be hatching or close to hatching - when they internally pip and break their membrane they'll gulp in their first bill full of air and make some noise. Then when they're ready they'd begin tapping on the side of the egg and externally pip.
    I'd be expecting this on day 34/35 [​IMG]
    Ducklings can take a while to hatch - up to 24 hours after externally pipping I think it is (when you see a outwards 'crack' in the egg)

Also yes ducklings need higher humidity than chooks, not sure how much though - if your worried they don't have enough you can lightly spray a little bit of water to moisten them up

Post another thread on here asking about duck humidity and you should get some responses [​IMG] or perhaps check your incubator instructions? Or the website on your incubator brand - I'm pretty sure they always have tips on temp and humidity for ducks and chooks

Good luck with them, I hope plenty hatch! Post up pics when they do [​IMG]

7. ariel4birds

ariel4birds Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Olympia
    I've never incubated muscovies, but i've incubated a lot of runner and call duck eggs. I would say not to worry. I can normally see the duckling starting to stick out from the air cells (and move) 4 days before they are due. They have normally emerge into the air cells 3 days before before they are due. And a duckling can pip up to 48 hours before they actually hatch. Sit tight. Wait to see how things go.

8. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    I took a quick peek last night with an LED just to make sure they were all still moving in there, and they were. No internal pips, yet...so I figured we were on schedule for Wednesday lockdown. Today is only day 30. I open the incubator tonight as if I was turning them (which I'm not anymore) and after checking a couple of the eggs (still no internal pips for those, yet) I noticed that one of them had an EXTERNAL PIP!!!!!! Did I just shrinkwrap my baby???? [​IMG] I quickly closed the incubator and now I am a nervous wreck....absolutely no more opening it, but what the heck should I do??? Why is this one so ahead of schedule?? and what should I do?? look for??? HELP PLEASE?????

9. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    Day 31 - no external pips from the others yet this morning...I haven't opened the incubator, but I added more water to the washcloth inside through one of the air holes on top. I haven't had to fill the trays inside at all, because they are staying full so I think humidity is ok. Sorry...I don't have a humidity reader this time. I only have the thermometer that came with incubator, and I accidentally left it inside on top of eggs! Do I need to get that out of there? I don't know what to do.

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    The thermometer will fall off one the eggs really start rocking- or a duckling hatches and knocks it off. Dont worry about it- it will be fine in there while they hatch- might get a bit of goop on it though.

I like to have a small amount of condensation on the windows when I hatch- but not so much that it covers the whole area- apart from not being able to see- that would mean the humidity is too high. It will go up once the ducklings start to hatch as well. Once they are all don- you can remove the vent plugs to lower the humidity which will help them to dry out faster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by