Muscovies for the table

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kadjain, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I just bought my first breeding trio of beautiful Muscovy ducks (if I didn't just break my camera I'd post pics). I got them to breed for eating and I'm wondering how long till Muscovies are ready to butcher?

Thanks

2. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i eat mine at 12 weeks, they are still pale and tender then. after that the testosterone kicks in and the meat gets redder and the flavour stronger, however the longer you wait the bigger the bird you get.

when i first started i tried them at different ages to find out which suited me best. so 12 through to 20 weeks.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    The first muscovy I processed were between 5-6 months old. The drakes were huge, the breast was probably 1.5-2 lbs, per half!! The meat was all dark red but delicious, not tough at all (except for the time I overcooked it but think well done steak, not juicy but not tough)

I may try some at a younger age (I have 12 one week olds now) but since I won't have more for a bit, I'll let some grow out to bigger sizes.

4. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah I was surprised to see how big the breasts were on the one Muscovy I've butchered. I will definitely try some at 12 weeks when I get my first hatch.

Thanks

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I always processed drakes at 12 to 16 weeks (depending upon how well they grew) and hens at 20 + weeks. The best eating duck unless you happen to have some muscovy hybrids. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by