Muscovies Going Broody?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BlueLagoonRabbitry, Apr 7, 2009.

1. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    I cant seem to get any eggs from my muscovies or get them to lay eggs they are in a 9x18' run with a 9' ceiling. There coop is 5x5 and there are 11 ducks even though they dont use the coop. Two hen have made nest but not layed eggs.

Questions

1.) Are there to many in the pen?

2.) Should I build a bigger coop?

3.) Are muscovies seasonal layers?

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    That seems a bit small for muscovies, but I wouldn't think it would affect their laying.

Mine have already laid and hatched two clutches but I'm in the deep South. Just north of me a couple of hours I have a good friend who says his have not started laying yet. I'd give it some more time (a month or so). However, I would also give them some more room. Mine wander free-range. I do lose some every now and again to predators, but that is the price you pay for free-ranging.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    #3 Muscovy aren't seasonal like breeds decended from the mallard, a migrating breed, They lay according to temperature not daylight length. When it becomes warmer they should start. first year layers might lay a little later if they were hatched late last year because they aren't fully developed yet.

4. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Well im just really wanting my whites to lay. Im thinking about putting them into an 8x8 kennel

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

That is too small. They will not lay when they are in too small of an enclosure. I have my trios in 4 x 4 coops with 8' x 24' runs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by