Muscovies - Growth, Winter, etc.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsKemmerlin, Oct 3, 2011.

1. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    I have three Muscovies, two females and a male - love them! [​IMG] This is my first run with ducks, so about what age will they stop growing? They will be 15 weeks on Thursday and they've seemed to stop for the most part. So are they done or just building up to a monster growth spurt to shock me!? Also, we've had our first glimpse of fall [​IMG] Although it will be back to blazing temps this week sometime, but do the Scovies seem to fair well in colder weather or do you take extra precautions to keep them toasty? I have heat lamps for both the Scovies and my hens when it really gets cold and of course will have the coop closed up at night, but should I worry about anything more than that for anyone?

Thanks in advance!

2. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Hi, sorry can't help with your question on winter as I live in warmer climate but I have also got 2 muscovies and they are 18 weeks old and I wondered if you have any pics of yours, I am still unsure of what sex I have and would like to compare? I also love them, they are full of character and love to watch them, they are never apart where one goes the other follows so cute [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Hi I have 10 Muscovies and live in Western N.C. it gets pretty cold here and I have a house for my ducks that they sleep in in year round with about 6" of pine shavings, I never close the windows up just the bottom half I leave the upper half open for ventlation. They can go in the house any time they want but even when we have ice and snow and very cold temps they prefer to be outside. I don't use heat. They say the drakes are prone to frost bite but mine have never had it and my oldest is 8 years old. Make sure they have fresh water thawed. I use a heated bucket, and in the winter i mix 7 way scratch in with their FR. 100lbs. to 50lbs. thats 100lb Flock Raiser to 50lb 7way. They will stay healthier if not given heat.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    They should be pretty well grown by now. They might fatten up a little more. Ducks are covered in down and there's a reason why we make coats out of it! They'll be fine. Most ducks prefer to be out in the snow instead of inside. A few inches of shavings or straw inside their house will be fine. I've been toying with the idea of adding a roost to mine but I'm not sure if the boys would use it.

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    This my first year with ducks but the geese love the snow and I am banking on the ducks being able to do as well in it.

6. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    I'm in Maryland where the weather can get pretty cold. Not too bad, but cold enough. (in the 20s)I have 20+ muscovy (among other ducks) and all do fine, even in the snow. I make sure their house is snug and warm and cozy, and I feed a little extra corn to keep lots of fat on them, but the dummies don't seem to care about the cold, and even when there's snow on the ground they'd rather be out in it. They even swim in the ice filled pools when i break the ice up for them. I don't know how they stand it but they all do just fine. People have told me to watch out for their feet because they can get frostbite, but none of mine every have. Even in 3 feet of snow last year, once we dug them out of the house, heh, they were just fine. Muscovy are a very resilient bird.

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    I always gave mine the choice of roosting or staying in straw on the ground. above freezing mine would usually roost, on those rare 10-20 degree nights they used to huddle together in the straw.

8. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Awesome news! [​IMG] And thank you bunches!
    Sadiew, here is a pic of my babies [​IMG] It's hard to see the size difference in this one, I apologize, but it's the only good one I had of all three on my phone. The dark guy in the back is my drake, and boy is he a sweetheart! Very obvious to tell who is what gender. Sorry they're all looking around funny - behind the little white lady there is a bowl of oatmeal they were scarfing down! [​IMG] I think my male only comes out of the oatmeal bowl for air, so this is a rare shot [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:very pretty ducks.

10. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Quote:Aww they are beautiful thank you for posting pic, I will post some pics of mine and maybe someone can tell what sex mine are [​IMG].

Oh hope all goes well on 5th Nov on new arrival [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by