Muscovies laying in Winter!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Are anyone else's Muscovies laying right now? One of my hens started laying an egg a day about a week ago and I couldn't believe it when I found the first egg! I thought they were all done for a while and i wouldn't have to worry about what to do with their eggs (i don't eat them).

So, anyone else have any weirdos laying now?

2. linen53

linen53 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    Fremont County, CO
    Yep! I have 14 eligible egg layers and one is still laying. All the others have stopped and completing their molts. I have Muscovies too

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    My ancona was laying a bit ago. But stopped a week ago. I stopped eating her eggs a week or two before she stopped because her yolks wete gross looking [​IMG]

4. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    I actually have one that just began setting about November 30. She's about 1.5 years. And another that is laying but seems to be laying quite sporadically. (She was hatched this spring, so maybe age has something to do with the sporadic laying or weather or both.) Shocking, right??? [​IMG] Especially the one setting! But YAY for happy surprises!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. sy7up

sy7up Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    our pekin is laying a egg everyday she 8 months

6. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Mine are all around 6 months old and just starting laying, but they live in our coop with the chickens & they're all on a 15 hour light cycle, so they should be laying ;D

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yes my one hen is.. she has given me an egg almost everyday this month... [​IMG] I have 5 who can potentially lay but the other 4 are not.. no extra lighting here and we're dark now by 5pm.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My muscovies stopped laying in late october, went into molt and are just finishing up with that, but they have never laid in the winter so don't expect eggs till spring. Congrats on getting eggs so late in the season..

9. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Yup, i have 2 muscovys laying too!

10. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    I have 2 muscovies and one of them has started to lay about a month ago and she is still laying one a day but it is not so cold here in winter months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by