Muscovies near beehives?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by macgro7, Nov 24, 2014.

1. macgro7

macgro7 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know some people who keep beehive in their chicken run or even on top of their chicken coop.
    but... Can you do the same with muscovies? I'm afraid they might eat the bees. What do you think?

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    For both of those things its a terrible idea, muscovys are flighty birds who do like to perch if they perch on the beehives and the bees feel threatend. and the bird gets attacked by bees it would be really bad, anyway its jus ta bad idea, please dont do it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  3. macgro7

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think I'd put fencing up between the ducks and the bees. Amiga has bees and ducks not sure how close they are to one another.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have ducks day pen on one side of the house, beehive on the other. There is a fenced garden about fifty feet from the hive where the ducks spend time each day.

That said, the bees like to visit the Day Pen - they are attracted to the minerals, I think, in the mud in a couple of places right next to the pen. And I know at least once, I saw a Runner grab and swallow a bee. It tried to tell her these are our bees, we don't eat them. She just looked at me, then walked away.

Something I have read about is that a fence or other block (shrub, tree) several feet from the front of the hive encourages the bees to fly up and over. If that's any help. Ours do seem to fly up quite a bit, even without a fence that high in front of the hive entrance.

Both bees and ducks like water - the bees like to drink from the rain barrels, and from buckets, mud puddles, all sorts of things.

1 person likes this.
  6. macgro7

In the new house, to which we are moving in two weeks, we have a brook flowing through the middle of our garden, so plenty of fresh water. I might put some smaller dishes so the bees can drink without drowning.
    i need to put some sort of fence (chicken wire?) inside the water so the ducks and geese can't swim off to far...

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good plans. I found the bees really liked a pan with plants in it (I had weeded some potted vegetables) that had filled with rainwater. They liked standing on leaves and stems and drinking. They need something in the water they can stand on. They will drown without plenty of stones or marbles or plants. And at our place, the bees seemed to prefer plant material.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by