Muscovies or Runner ducks - which do I want???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by momma's chickens, Oct 25, 2009.

1. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I really thought I wanted runner ducklings and have been trying to hatch some. I still have 8 eggs in the incubator. My friend and I are going to Seattle to pick up a goat for her and I am looking over in that area. I haven't really found any yet but did find some cool Muscovies. The are blue, black or chocolate.

I am not sure whether I should keep looking for runner duicklings or get the muscovies. [​IMG]

2. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    It would depend on what you want them for....runners are egg laying machines, and scovies are seasonal layers. Scovies are also very quiet, runners can be quite talkative. Scovies will fly, runners usually don't once they are adults other than a couple of feet off the ground. It would just depend on what you are looking for in a duck.

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    BOTH!!! [​IMG]

4. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Chickenwhisperer, you are no help at all! [​IMG]

LoreenH - I want them for egg laying and for ducklings. Here is the thing, I can't have them flying but since I live on outskirts of town, I don't want them extremely loud either.

5. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Muscovies are really quiet, good egglayers, and excellent mothers!

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    But scovies do fly...

Runners dont, both are great egg layers, BUT runners dont go broody .

I guess its really on what you want most. You can clip the scovies wings so they wont flya dn then they'll be jsut as good as the runners.

7. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Do scovies lay as well as runners?

8. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    momma's chickens :

Do scovies lay as well as runners?

Mine lay about 15 eggs, then proceed to sit on them. It takes 35 days to hatch those eggs, then several weeks of mothering, then another 15 eggs. And so on... [​IMG]

9. tplummer

tplummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    We have mallard, grey calls and muscovies. We just bought three more muscovies today. They are really friendly. I like the colors too.

10. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    My muscovies do not lay at all during the winter. They lay until they get their nest full and then sit on them, They do a great job of hatching and taking care of the ducklings.

Muscovies are large, quiet, friendly, love to wag their tails and beg. Great bug catchers, cat food eaters. The ducks fly very well and the drakes are too heavy to fly much. They stay at home quite well once they know where their food is. They go any where for food. I think muscovies are great unless year round eggs are what you want. They are capable of big population increases over the summer.

I do not know anything about runners.

Muscovies are geneticly different than any of the mallard type ducks and any off spring of a muscovy/mallard cross will be sterile. Or they are called mules. Unless you have places to separate them, think about what you want before getting some of both breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by