Muscovies stopped eating their regular food!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Datacross, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Datacross

Datacross Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    Currently my 11 week old muscovies are located on my back porch do to having to reconstruct their run and hutch and are not foraging as much as they should be. However, they normally compensate pretty well with their regular pellet food. I decided about half a week ago to introduce mealworms to them as a little treat and now they refuse to eat anything but the mealworms, which is problematic because they don't have 24/7 access to foraging right now either! They'll starve themselves out now just to wait for some mealworms. I've went a day and a half without giving them anything but the pellets and they still didn't touch it! Yesterday morning I got scared of them not eating so I put out some mealworms for them just so they'd eat something. I then mixed them in with their food and the buggers picked all the worms out! Finally this evening I caught them each eating the regular food but barely. They aren't normally snackers. I have yet to find any fruit or veggies that they like at all. So foraging and their regular food were their main nutrition. It's worth noting that when they initially lost a lot of acess to foraging they DID compensate by eating more food, but since giving them the worms they've nearly refused it all together

2. lovemy mallards

lovemy mallards Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2015
    MARION COUNTY TN
    Have you tried frozen peas and corn my ducks love it.

3. Datacross

Datacross Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    I haven't tried peas yet but I definitely will. It astounds me that they refuse to eat anything besides flies, whatever bugs and stuff they forage, and their regular food. Well, and now mealworms. They love flies and the mealworms the most and I have read of people giving their muscovies a little bit of some sort of meat. Is that normal practice? I'm just thinking maybe theyd like that more than fruits or veggies

4. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2016
    My ducks don't seem to eat a couple of items that I see on duck food lists as being their favorites. Other times, I found I had to present the food differently to them before they decide they like it.

As far as meat goes (or products with meat), I tried to give them cat food on several occasions. They didn't like it. I'll try again in the future when they're older. Maybe they'll like it then. Protein-wise, they get their pellet food and black soldier fly larva. At first they didn't eat the larva but now they love it. They'll clean up the entire tray of larva that I give them in just a short time.

But ducks will be different in their tastes, too, so keep working on finding some of the other stuff they like.

5. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Thaw out some peas. A definite favorite with ducks! And they can be very very stubborn, but they won't starve themselves. :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  6. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Also, peel the skin of a cucumber and then scoop put the inside with the seeds. My muscovy lives cucumber seeds

7. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    And chopped tomatoes.

I think introducing a variety of food - in tiny amounts of course - starting at a couple of weeks old, makes it much easier for them to try new foods as they get older and they don't get so freaked out. If they had been getting mealworms, lettuce, peas, tomatoes etc right along, they wouldn't be obsessing on this great new food item. Just add other things and the variety should make life easier.

I usually give the "treat" food (peas, worms etc) in a small amount first thing in the morning. They are REALLY happy to see me in the morning, lol.
    Then they free range all day, and I fill their bowl will crumbles for overnight, and they do eat it. They even munch on it in the early morning before I come out with "the good stuff".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by