Muscovies terrified of outdoors

jess1228

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
I have six 6-week old Muscovies that have been raised in my garage. I have been opening the door for the past week, and they are afraid to go out. They are also still quite scared of me. Is this normal? My chickens were never like this. They were excited to go outside and were pretty comfortable with me from age 3 or 4 weeks. I know ducks aren't chickens, but I thought they would want to go outside at least.

Last edited:
I have six 6-week old Muscovies that have been raised in my garage. I have been opening the door for the past week, and they are afraid to go out. They are also still quite scared of me. Is this normal? My chickens were never like this. They were excited to go outside and were pretty comfortable with me from age 3 or 4 weeks. I know ducks aren't chickens, but I thought they would want to go outside at least.
Are you going with them? and when you mean outside is this in a safe fenced in area? Put their food and water outside by the door and try some treats to coax them out. If there is a lot of trees and places where they can go to feel secure you might want to carry them out and of course stay with them but close the door walk around out side and keep an eye on them after they have been out say 30-45 mins open the door and leave it open and see if they go back in do this several times a day till they are out most of the time. also put something outside close by they can get into to swim that may also entice them. even at 6 weeks to me they are still babies and eventually one of them will become the leader the rest will follow.

Are you going with them? and when you mean outside is this in a safe fenced in area? Put their food and water outside by the door and try some treats to coax them out. If there is a lot of trees and places where they can go to feel secure you might want to carry them out and of course stay with them but close the door walk around out side and keep an eye on them after they have been out say 30-45 mins open the door and leave it open and see if they go back in do this several times a day till they are out most of the time. also put something outside close by they can get into to swim that may also entice them. even at 6 weeks to me they are still babies and eventually one of them will become the leader the rest will follow.
Hi Miss Lydia,

Yes, they are given access to a safe fenced area right directly outside with food, water, and an outdoor shelter. They have been outside twice: once when I picked them up and carried them out (which completely traumatized them, poor things!) and another when I ushered them out by walking behind them (still traumatizing, but not as bad). The first time they stayed outside until I picked them up again, and the second time they stayed outside about 30 minutes before going back inside. I have tried coaxing them with treats, but they are extremely picky eaters and will only eat moistened food or cut grass. They seem to hate everything else, but I hope that will change! I will try your suggestion of trying to get them to go outside several times a day. I guess I just need to train them a little more. :) Thanks!

Hi Miss Lydia,

Yes, they are given access to a safe fenced area right directly outside with food, water, and an outdoor shelter. They have been outside twice: once when I picked them up and carried them out (which completely traumatized them, poor things!) and another when I ushered them out by walking behind them (still traumatizing, but not as bad). The first time they stayed outside until I picked them up again, and the second time they stayed outside about 30 minutes before going back inside. I have tried coaxing them with treats, but they are extremely picky eaters and will only eat moistened food or cut grass. They seem to hate everything else, but I hope that will change! I will try your suggestion of trying to get them to go outside several times a day. I guess I just need to train them a little more. :) Thanks!
Please let us know how it goes.. and sorry I didn't do this yesterday
welcome-byc.gif
dried mealworms, once they taste them you'll be able to get them to do a song and dance.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Please let us know how it goes.. and sorry I didn't do this yesterday
welcome-byc.gif
dried mealworms, once they taste them you'll be able to get them to do a song and dance.
big_smile.png
Thank you!!
big_smile.png
I will be sure to post with an update. I'll pick up some dried mealworms this week!

Back
Top Bottom