Muscovies to Be Gased In Ocala.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pirtykitty, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Has any one heard anything on the news about Muscovies going to be gased in Ocala???? This was posted on another forum I'm in ... I think it stinks beacuse people have volunteered to take the muscovies in ..

In ocala the county goverment is going to catch hundreds of feral muscovies give them food that has seditives in it put them all in a huge gas chamber and gas them all. How about i darn get a whole bunch of people that live in ocala make them go to sleep and gas them all? HUH they are living creatures and to randomly gas them all, like what i want to email them or something. This is horrible. they complain that there is duck poop on sidewalks and if could give people cancer, and all these diseases, rescue groups have offered to take ALL of the muscovies free of charge and put them on farms so they dont bother other people. NOPE they still want to wasit $84,000 to gas all these poor unsuspecting animal, living creatures, DUCKLINGS. I hate people, do some @#&!!! research then ill be more leniant about being rude to you. Excuse my french.

2. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    Ignorance, pure and simple. There are people who would take them in a heart beat. It would be cheaper to ship them to good homes. Those birds are hard to come by, here in CA...stupid.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Unfortunately, since Muscovies are native species to southern Texas, everywhere else they are feral they are considered to be evasive species just like Kudzu.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Have to love Florida. [​IMG]

5. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Quote:agreed.

I have not heard anything about this. Is there anyway to stop it? petitions or something? animal rights groups? Could you please foward me a link to that thread where you read that. I would love to get more involved in this. I have room to take in a few even if that means going up there and catching some myself and bringing them home.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Very sad day for sure [​IMG]

7. LisaAnnW

LisaAnnW Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    We live in south Florida, and have a large group of Muscovy ducks that come and go. We feed them a mixture of cracked corn and flockraiser, and sometimes my youngest finds abandoned babies which we raise then release. Like anything else, they can be messy, but they're smart and friendly - my kids just love them. Each one has a distinct personality.

I'm surprised it would be legal for Ocala officials to kill Muscovies, because my neighbor who is a higher-up with our local power company brought over a company bulletin about six months ago that stated Muscovies have been classified as migratory birds, and it is now illegal to kill, disturb, or otherwise molest Muscovies. If FP&L employees come across a Muscovy nest while working on powerlines, for example, they must consult with the proper authorities. My neighbor laughed when he informed me of all this, because he knows "my" Muscovies are so spoiled they don't need to migrate anywhere, but occasionally they do fly away. Muscovies are excellent fliers, and in the wild perch in trees. Maybe Ocala authorities need to make sure they aren't violating federal migratory bird laws before they spend thousands of dollars killing innocent creatures.

Kudos to the rescue groups. If the planned slaughter can't be stopped, people should stop feeding the ducks in the targeted areas so the older ones will leave, and the younger ones should be caught and taken to safety asap.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Or give hunting permit to keep the numbers down. Duck la orange!

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Agreed. They've got to go somewhere if they are getting too large in number.

10. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Quote:Agreed. They've got to go somewhere if they are getting too large in number.

This would be better than gasing them. at least then they would have a reason and a perpous to be killed, rather than gased and thrown away.

Edited- I cant spell

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by