Muscovies vagina and penis pop out occasionally?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fawkes, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    At least, I think it's their vagina/penis.

Is this normal? It's happened for awhile now with my 8 month old female and just happened a few minutes ago with my 5 month old male (first time with him, that I've seen anyway). It just happens all the sudden while they're standing around and then it goes back in within seconds. Sometimes it leaks out a bit of water like stuff. Sometimes it happens multiple times in the same day with my female, and then I don't see it for days/weeks...very random.

Not sure if I should be concerned or not? I've had ducks for several years and have never encountered this before.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I haven't seen anything like that with my runners and buffs. From the title I thought maybe prolapse, but if it is just for a few seconds . . . Is it diarrhea?

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    A female's should NOT but my Muscovy boys, when I still raised them, always had what I called their "corkscrews" hanging out (because that's what they looked like - sorry for being graphic). I guess they just pop out when they want to mate. It's normal. I never noticed if my girls did the same. It could of but maybe it was just less obvious.

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Muscovies are a lot bigger in size than most ducks so you are more likely to notice it over other breeds of ducks.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    When it is mating season, the runners' cloacas will occasionally pulse in and out, usually as they are prone (kind of lying down on their tummies). Is that what you are seeing?

6. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    I don't think it could be the cloaca - it looks like the one on the left of this picture, I think http://cdn0.cosmosmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/20070503_duckgenitals.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if my female could be a male then, if vaginas don't normally pop out? Her vagina looks like a vagina from pics I've seen but I'm not 100% sure.
    She's confusing because she's quite big for a female but her head looks feminine compared to males bulky heads. She's also never laid an egg...but she was only old enough in middle/late fall so maybe she won't until spring.

Maybe you guys can tell from pics?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am not a good Muscovy judge, but the pic looks like a phallus. So yeah, looks like a drake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by