Muscovies vs. Ornamental Small Pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by doubleatraining, Jan 2, 2013.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    One of my spring projects is a small water "element" in my front yard for the wild birds under the feeder......

I'm going to make it out of a planted pot and its going to have a very small fountain for the running water sound.

I'd REALLY like to have it planted and looking at the list of plants.....I get nervous.

I have a large tub for them in the back and they enjoy making a mess and "swimming" in it. Right now I only have a trio but I'm sure come spring they'll be popping out babies like crazy. The hens will most likely be sold and the boys will go to freezer camp.

Does anyone know of plants that will be safe from my ducks?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Is there a certain theme you're going for in the pond? Most of the plants that will survive a duck attack are quite unattractive.

3. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I'm not sure I'll have a theme. LOL

My goal is to provide a shallow side for wild birds to bathe in and a deeper part for plants and more water.

I'm thinking really small though.
    [​IMG]

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    We have a small 90Gal pond in the front of my home, it has fish in it for the warmer months. I generally don't like the birds in it, plant wise I share a similar concern as you, I have not been able to get real clear answers on what is safe for duckies and what isn't. Our plants are pretty simple, I use water lettuce, have some water Lilly, cat tails.. I have some more but I cannot recall the names right now lol

Anyhow, I am fortunate that the pond we have has never held a great interest and rarely do they stay longer than to have a quick dip and move on, they have several pools of their own and adore the horse trough and puddles more.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  5. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    doubleatraining,
    I love your small pot ponds. Are they hard to maintain? How do you keep the water from getting nasty? DO you ever put fish in them? I would love to do a small barrel pond this summer, but need more info on how to tend it.
    THanks,
    Christie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by