Muscovies: what color and pattern are these?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, Jan 23, 2010.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
  2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Deleted.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

John,
    Good to hear fm you again but what is the purpose of this thread if you are planning on starting another one to discuss this at a later time?

CityChicker, Muscovies are not Mallard derived. They can breed w/Mallard derived ducks but their progeny will be sterile.

I believe that due to forums like this, Muscovies have gained an audience and following to own/breed them for color that was probably not there before. You can't find much prior study done because the push & interest in breeding Scovies for "pets" & everything that goes along with that is relatively new. I am new to Muscovies & most of my neighbors have never heard or seen them before. MOST of the people who stop by our place of business ask "what are those? Geese?" Even people around here that did have Scovies growing up only knew that they were ducks and that's about all.

I will be interested in following a thread discussing color genetics, nomenclaute problems etc. though I doubt I will be able to contribute much to the conversation. My DH is the brilliant one around here. I clean up messes & try to keep everyone comfortable & happy. [​IMG]

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    LOL, of course I know Muscovies are not mallard-derived. I just get sidetracked and get too wordy and don't explain myself. I meant that the majority of the research I have seen is on the Mallard derived breeds. Muscovies have been kept in the US for decades though. Even when I was growing up, I knew people that had them in several colors and we are talking thirty years ago. There may be new interest in them (just as there is in the mallard breeds, chickens, etc...) but, they are far from new.

5. smithzoo100

smithzoo100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Oroville, CA
    Okay, so should I be posting my "What do you call this color and/or pattern?" pics here or on the huge Scovy thread? Any preferences, folks? Or should I do both? It's been 30 something years since I had Muscovies and they were the white birds, not all the FUN colors and patterns I see now in my yard!! Lucky me [​IMG]

6. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

7. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Oh dear... i have NO IDEA how to work that thing... could be useful if i understood all the language.... [​IMG]

8. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Actually it is my understanding that Hollander was one of the pioneers studying Muscovy genetics and has quite a few different papers published on it. I also know that at one point Holderread argued against the existence of either self-blue or silver, I forget which, and the man who has mentored me had to actually send him some birds of that variety to prove that they existed. I tend to think that Holderread gets a lot of extra credit for certain things...

9. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Dave Holderread was not one of the founding breeders nor did he
    play a major role to my knowledge in the development of Muscovies in the USA
    nor do I believe he had that strong of an interest in them.
    He doesn't even breed them anymore and dropped them a
    few years back.
    Dr. Hollander played a major role in developing Muscovies in the USA.
    I have some hard copy of his articles given to me by Brian Paul Witt.
    I will try to find them, scan them and send you copies
    if you will me your address Fr. John.
    Not much info out there on Muscovies.
    As for genetics...its like Algebra for me. [​IMG]
    Here's some basic info that I've gathered which is about as far as I can go
    when it comes to genetics:
    http://www.freewebs.com/thewaterfowlplace/muscovygenetics.htm
    http://www.freewebs.com/thewaterfowlplace/muscovycolorbreeding.htm
    My friend Rusty Hart is very knowledgeable about Muscovy genetics but
    he's veryhard to get a hold of and doesn't email much.
    If you have anything you're stumped on...email me and
    I will try to get a hold of Rusty for you.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  10. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Quote:Probably the self blue or pastel gene. Silver is quite obvious (blue x blue).
    I've heard quite a few first hand stories about the infighting that has gone on among
    prominent waterfowl breeders but opening that can of worms will get this thread jerked
    so I won't go there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by