Muscovies with other breeds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicken5, Jan 25, 2010.

1. chicken5

chicken5 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    IL
    New around here!! I have four muscovies that are free-range and spoiled!! (We even dug a large pond just for them) My question is if it is a good idea to bring another breed of duck into our family? We are planning on expanding our muscovy family this spring, but I would also like to have another breed as well. My muscovies get along with the chickens. They also sleep together in the coop. Just wondering if there would be conflict?? Also, about fertile egges. I thought I read something about eggs from muscovy drake/other breed will not be fertile. Wondering if that would cause any problems?? Sorry so many questions....
    Carla

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have a number of duck breeds that all live happily together, although I dont have muscovies. But I have never had issues with different breeds fighting. Someone else may have a different experience they can share with you. But I cant see any reason why you cannot try to introduce a bit of diversity into your flock.
    As far as the eggs go- The eggs themselves could be fertile- however the resulting ducklings hatched from a Muscovy Drake and a duck of another breed, will be infertile themselves.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:the eggs from a Muscovy-other breed cross would tend to be less fertile (have a lower hatch rate) than a inbreed mating. The crossed birds that hatched from the cross would be not fertile (nothing would hatch).

4. chicken5

chicken5 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    IL
    Thanks so much for the info!! Think I will get some more ducks!!!!!
    If anyone else has any ideas or suggestions, I would love to hear them.....

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Did you have any purpose in mind for the ducks? ie for egg laying- or just attractive ducks ?? If you had some particular trait in mind it may be easier to suggest good points of particular breeds.

Indian Runners are gorgeous and are great egg layers. Mine have great personalities.

I have some Pekin Ducks as well who are just lovely.

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I have seven different breeds - including muscovies. I currently have three domestic and two wild scovies as well as a magpie, cayuga, swede cross, buff cross, cayuga cross, magpie cross, ( All of those were crossed with mallard ) and then I have some magpie x runners.

The only problem I ever have are my hens picking on the non scovie hens sometimes. Otherwise they all free range and intergrate every where.

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My scovies, khakis, mandies, and calls all play together.

8. LittleSquidgenHome

LittleSquidgenHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Michiana
    I have Ancona and Muscovy ducks. The are penned at night in the same barn but in different enclosures for breed purity. And during the day they all free range over an acre and a 1/2 acre pond together. The Muscovies are a bit rougher, more shows of dominance, wing biting and what have you, but by no means are they mean or violent to the Ancona's.
    We haven't hatched any of either breed THIS year yet, so we aren't positive about pure breeding lines yet, but I do watch them most of the day and they don't really hang out together. The Ancona will be doing their thing, running around fast and looking at things, and the muscovy are much slower and more thoughtful. From what I have noticed the Ancona males will mount anything they can catch, but they will go after the easier targets first, and those are the girls of their breed. Godzilla, our muscovy male, seems to only be interested in his females, he has made NO attempt to go after the Ancona females.

Of course each situation is different and your birds might be different as well, but from my experience, they, for the most part, self segregate, but are civile to one another. Good luck!

And What new breed of duck were you thinking about getting?

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I just thought I should add that Mule ducks can be SUPER CUTE!

Pekin/Muscovy cross I adopted last year:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. smithzoo100

smithzoo100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Oroville, CA
    The Ancona/Muscovy mules we had last year were fun painted up ducks!! They get HUGE really quickly, but were a lot of fun. The most painted up, sweetest one got a wonderful pet home and is now decorating someone's pond. He was just too pretty to go to freezer camp!! Have fun with your ducks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by