1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BlueLagoonRabbitry, Mar 28, 2009.

1. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    I have 10 of these in a covered pen and was wanting to know if i could put them in an open pen.

2. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    you could, but they'd fly out, unless their wings are clipped.

3. BlueLagoonRabbitry

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Well i need to create 5 pens to split them by color and dont wanna spend a million dollars what do i do?

4. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    My covered pen is split in half, so if need be I can separate them. They stay out in the pen all summer at night, so we have it covered, or they would be toast! I know they can roost in trees, but I wasn't willing to chance it!
    Each half has a house they can get in. I can try to post pics later!
    With animals there is no cheap way, we have found that out the hard way!

Brenda

5. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Just clip their wings. You could get that hog gate panel fencing for relatively cheap at farm stores,?? Just a though..

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I have 4 Scovies a black drake, a blue pied hen, a black pied hen,and a chocolate pied hen. Mine fly back and forth from the house to the barn. If you clip their wings that would work. I did that for awhile to keep them in a horse stall but as soon as their feathers grew they were flying again. I don't bother anymore as mine always come back to the barn to sleep for the night.

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:How about a two pen solution? one covered to keep all the drakes and Yes it has to be covered because they aren't going to be happy seperated from the ladies. The Second pen is the honeymoon suit(covered) where you put one drake and the ducks you want to mate with him. Brief weekly visits should do the trick. You can try free ranging the rest of the hens in a fenced in area where they can establish nests otherwise they are going to scatter nests where they think is best(mine would craw up under my lawn tractor mowing deck to nest and roost on the seat, what a mess!) One other expense, buy yourself some thick long gloves to be used while handling the birds- well worth the money! ~gd

8. BlueLagoonRabbitry

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Wel right now they are in a 9x18 covered pen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by