Muscovies?????

iluvsedward

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 19, 2010
Calvert County MD
Ok so I have noticed that a lot of ads on craigslist and a lot of people have muscovies. here the problem (with me :p) is I (no offense) think they are really ugly. They have warts, they have ugly colors and they are big, why do people like these ducks? Is it because they are quiet? are they good layers? I have also noticed a lot of people with Pekins too, but why do people like these huge boring breeds?? I cant find any pretty ducks anywhere :(

Well they don't have warts they have caruncles. I personally think Muscovies are beautiful creatures. They're friendly, calm, and one of the best mothers I have ever seen.

Ok so I have noticed that a lot of ads on craigslist and a lot of people have muscovies. here the problem (with me :p) is I (no offense) think they are really ugly. They have warts, they have ugly colors and they are big, why do people like these ducks? Is it because they are quiet? are they good layers? I have also noticed a lot of people with Pekins too, but why do people like these huge boring breeds?? I cant find any pretty ducks anywhere :(

Eh, some people like those breeds, some don't. I personally love muscovies and Pekins. I want a couple of each very badly, but I also want everything! lol.

Have you ever seen Welsh Harlequins in your area? These are a stunning breed!! I have 4 adults, and 5 babies. Love this breed. Very friendly, beautiful, great layers, and good broodies from what I hear!

They are Caruncles - not warts. Chickens have combs and wattles that are sometimes very over sized. My muscovy girl is beautiful, though I did not really like the caruncles at first. She is super quiet and very friendly. Oh and their meat is really good.
_MG_6366.jpg
If you can get over the caruncles, some have amazing blue eyes. My girls are SKY blue.
_MG_3908.jpg
_MG_5053.jpg
They also wag their tail like a dog :love

They are social, follow you everywhere talking. Available is a huge variety of colors from chocolate to silver and lavender to name a few.

You say you want "pretty" ducks, but say what breed it is you want.

The red fleshy parts are more prominent on drakes than ducks. I like them because they are a hardy, generally quiet duck... they forage well, excellent bug catches and aren't delicate or high maintenance, mine all free range daily and are locked up at night.

Of coarse not every breed is going to be liked by everyone and it also depends on what your wanting from ducks. I certainly think the breed has many good qualities that is why i own them.

Last edited:
Here are some photos to show some of the variety of muscovy. The black ducks have a beautiful green iridescent sheen mine also have some blue and purple iridescent as well as the green. Super friendly, egg layers, great mothers.

I don't care for their caruncles either, but once you get past that they are great birds.

What you may find ugly, someone else may find beautiful. Like me, I love both Pekins and Scovies. I hope to own Pekins one day.

As for being large, they were bred to be meat birds. You can't get a lot of meat off a tiny duck, that's why they are so large.

As for boring, I don't think either are boring.
I don't own Pekins, but the family I bought my Scovies from had them and they were a joy to watch.

I love the colors Muscovies come in. Like someone else said, they come in a variety.

My Scovies are just like dogs, they follow me, wag their tails. They are true clowns in feathers.
If I'm gona away from them too long, and they decide it's time for me to come play with them, let them out, etc, the call out for me until I come to them.
They will softly peep to me to wake me up early in the moring or late at night if they are out of water or food.
They like to play "tug-of-war" with anything they get their little beaks on.
They are curious and have a sense of adventure.
When I walk up to their cage, they are already standing at the door waiting for me to let them out.
They have tons of personality.

When I was looking for a duck breed to own, I wasn't looking for beauty first. I wanted a duck breed that would best suit my lifestyle as of right now. I just got lucky that I find Scovies pretty.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom