Muscovy acting strange

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RoyalHillsLLC, Jan 22, 2009.

1. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I have a young Muscovy hen (first winter) that is walking around like she has no neck, with her head tucked real low and walking upright.
    I also noticed she is not eating any of the corn I have been throwing them as a treat. All of the others are going crazy over it and she just sits there. I put up all the rest for the night and tried giving her some alone and she acted like she couldn't reach it or something, just kinda put her bill down towards it and walked away real slowly. Could she be sick? She doesn't look thin or anything, looks healthy other than her strange behavior. Could it be she is getting plenty of bugs (in this weather?)? I figured she would be hungry and that's why I am giving more treats than usual. It's been very cold.

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm... I love muscovies and have five of them, but this seems very weird...

I think she may just be full, or cold, I have seen my ducks walk around like this before.

Just make sure you watch her for a few days [​IMG]

Best of Luck,

-Austin

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Does she "squeak" loudly? She might be broody. Or headed that way. I have a scovy who, I swear to goodness, was broody for 7 months last year. [​IMG]

4. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    Do you have a drake with her? The behavior you are describing sounds like the hen being submissive for breeding. It is like a ritual ducks do before mating.

5. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    Thanks. I was wondering about the possibility of being submissive, but the Drake has been more interested in feeding when I was around. I guess I just need more time to observe them. Days are still pretty short and I have very little daylight after work. Hopefully I will have some time this weekend.

6. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I would be hugely surprised if it was actual physical illness (as distinct from physical injury, which btw, i am not suggesting). Chickens are accidents waiting to happen, but ducks are incredibly disease resistant, as I am sure you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by